Ostomy Memories of Club Sandwiches

Replies
Views
HenryM
Aug 04, 2022 7:36 am

THERE WAS A TIME, LONG SINCE PASSED, when I measured my life’s good moments by club sandwiches.  It was my favorite treat, and healthy to boot.  No eating establishment could be classified as decent unless their menu included a good club sandwich.  “A club sandwich, please,” I would tell the waitress, “on lightly toasted white bread.”  Being a club sandwich aficionado, I looked down on hamburger people.  That was too plebeian, too common.  There was one of those Forties era drug stores near my house in Miami, the kind with a long lunch counter and stools, that had a great club sandwich.  I would save money from my paper route earnings and, when I had something to celebrate – if I didn’t have anything special, I’d invent something – I’d go there and, affecting my best grown up countenance, order myself a club sandwich.   The gal behind the counter got to know me.  I was maybe twelve years old, and so I flirted with her in my awkward, pre-pubescent way.  She humored me, of course, and even teased me a little bit, which set off the sort of fantasies that could even overcome the memory of a good club sandwich.  In my memory now, warped and distorted over time, I think that she bore a striking resemblance to Elizabeth Taylor.  Memory is such a crucial instrument of personal comfort and survival.

TerryLT
Aug 04, 2022 9:17 pm

Well, I hate to burst your bubble Henry, but calling a club sandwich 'healthy' may be a stretch! I mean, who needs three pieces of bread? And white bread at that! Three different kinds of meat seems a little over the top and ham and bacon are both processed meats, not good! The tomato and lettuce may be the sandwich's only redeeming quality! I grew up eating a lot of stuff that we now know is not that good for us. Sometimes I think I'm still around in spite of the diet I had, not because of it!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am
Reply to TerryLT

Like you say, my dear, we eat a lot of crapola 'cause it tastes good, irrespective of the lack of nutritional value.  I suppose my reference to club sandwiches as being healthy was an example of grading on the curve.  Perhaps I ought to try downing those wonderful Twizzlers with lettuce and tomato.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Aug 05, 2022 12:49 pm

Love them clubs, no tomatoes. Extra meat, please... Another to try to my growing allowed list...

TerryLT
Aug 05, 2022 8:02 pm
Reply to HenryM

Oh, yeah, that should ease your conscience! And maybe I'll have a glass of carrot juice with my piece of chocolate cake tonight!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
SallyK
Aug 05, 2022 9:28 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Sounds yummy.