Seeking Recommendations for High-Quality One-Piece Bags

Replies
Views
writerman
Jan 10, 2023 8:52 pm

I have been using Hollister nine-inch one-piece bags for many years. I used to get two to three days out of one replacement. I am very active. Now, I need to replace my bag twice a day, with horrendous leaking. I replace my bag at eight at night, and by four in the morning, it's leaking. Bad. And I get up when it gets anything in it, sometimes six times a night. I sleep on my back too, so there's no pressure on the bag. I have noticed a decline in Hollister's quality over the last ten years. Does anyone know of an active person product, one piece, nine-inch, exactly, that would work better? Thanks.

AlexT
Jan 10, 2023 9:05 pm

It leaks while you sleep and not while you're active?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Jan 10, 2023 9:26 pm

I use Coloplast Sensura Mio Click two-piece system for almost 3 years now. Never a leak. But then again I'm not ultra active. Go to work, walk the dog, clean the house, shovel snow kind of active. &zwj

You could call and get samples. Good luck.

HenryM
Jan 10, 2023 9:43 pm

I have worn a Hollister 2-piece system for years and I'm very happy with it.  I don't have leaks.  Perhaps the problem that you're experiencing is related to your methodology or something other than the product itself.  I don't own stock in Hollister, but there are a lot of folks on this site that use them without issues.

AlexT
Jan 10, 2023 9:51 pm

If it's happening when you lay down, maybe it's your stoma going flat and allowing output under whatever type of equipment you're using.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Cplumber
Jan 10, 2023 10:00 pm

Try wearing a belt to help cinch things up to help stop leaking

TerryLT
Jan 10, 2023 10:30 pm

Hi Writerman, I am a Hollister user and am very happy with the products and have not experienced any decline in their quality. Two things come to mind. Have you checked the dates on the sides of the boxes your appliances come in? Depending on who your supplier is, sometimes old product is sold, and its quality has deteriorated. For instance, the boxes I just purchased have a date of '27-01-01' on them. The other thing is, like Alex said, sleeping on your back can be problematic. It allows your output to pool right around your stoma, and it's more likely to get under the flange and cause the adhesive to break down this way. This would be particularly probable if your output is very loose or liquidy.

Terry

pmivm68
Jan 11, 2023 6:08 am

Coloplast has worked from day one for me, going on 5 years now. Use the 2-piece mio system. They just came out with a new design for the wafer that works great. Coloplast Mio Convex Flip, I still use the half moon securement strips for the extra security.

IGGIE
Jan 11, 2023 10:23 am

I use 2 pieces of Hollister and have no problem. Talk to your stoma nurse, you might need to be told how to use it correctly.

Bryce
Jan 11, 2023 7:50 pm

I suggest re-measuring your stoma as you may need a change in size. I started getting 'leakers' after 9 years, called Coloplast and they sent 1 size smaller. Problem solved. Good luck!

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 3:55 am

I am currently working with all the ostomy supply companies I could think of. I have several visits with ostomy nurses. This is the problem, the seal between the karaya and the plastic, not my body and the karaya, just lets go after about eight hours, and it never used to. I lay on my back, there is zero pressure on the bag, and even if I sleep upright in a chair, which I often do, it still leaks. My stoma hasn't changed in size or configuration for years, and my ostomy nurse at the VA says it's 'picture book perfect' for non-leakage. What success have you had with two-piece systems, and why would they work better than one piece? This is a recent, about two years, problem. I never had this problem before, and nothing, nothing, has changed on my end. I contacted Hollister as well.

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 3:56 am
Reply to TerryLT

I often sleep sitting up in a chair, and it makes no difference. How long have you been using their products? I've been using the same bag for 43 years and definitely, there has been a marked decrease in quality.

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 3:57 am
Reply to pmivm68

I am working with Coloplast as well, will report back on my success. I tried one of their products and it was one piece. I like it, but cannot get more than 24 hours out of one bag. My ostomy nurse says I should get four. Ludicrous.

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 3:59 am
Reply to IGGIE

Did that, did every single thing she said to do to a T. She thinks I may have not, so had rescheduled another visit, but I followed her instructions to the absolute letter. I mean, who wouldn't? Who wants leakage, right? I don't. What two-piece system do you use?

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 4:00 am
Reply to Bryce

Actually, it's the same exact size it has always been for 43 years. It's the seal between the plastic and the karaya that leaks. If that didn't leak, everything else checks out. I tried Coloplast and cut the opening to within 1/100 of an inch of my stoma, still leakage. What system do you use?

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 8:21 pm
Reply to AlexT

Mostly while sleeping, yes. And as well, when I am active. Nothing I do seems to make any difference. I could fall asleep in a chair and bam! It's leaking. Because the seal from the karaya to the plastic leaks, not the seal against my skin.

southpawbass
Feb 06, 2023 8:45 pm

If by karaya, you mean the paste, then perhaps it's time to change your paste. Brava makes a fantastic paste that absorbs excess moisture.

AlexT
Feb 06, 2023 8:49 pm
Reply to writerman

I'm not following you here.

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 10:23 pm
Reply to southpawbass

3238 has a solid karaya seal. I guess it's hard to seal it to the plastic, but they did it for 40 years, so I don't get it. I am in contact with them.

writerman
Feb 06, 2023 10:24 pm
Reply to AlexT

I think in order to get what I'm saying, you would have to actually see the way it's constructed. Hard to explain without a hands-on visual, I guess. The karaya seal between the bag and the body is a thick gelatinous substance, hard to seal to the plastic, though they did it for 40 years so I don't get what's happening now.

AlexT
Feb 06, 2023 10:37 pm
Reply to writerman

Can you post some pics of your setup?

writerman
Feb 12, 2023 4:58 am
Reply to TerryLT

How long do you get out of one appliance? I can only get about 18-20 hours.

shannondaniellegrant
Feb 20, 2023 2:58 am

I use the Coloplast 2-piece system. It's only been 3 1/2 months, but my only problem is sometimes it's hard to get off. What about the 1-piece system that's wafer looks like a flower? I have a box of those I haven't used yet, but it seems like it would have less leakage since there's only 1 piece. Ref number is 18341. I hope that helps. Keep us posted!

Pattycakes
Feb 27, 2023 8:33 pm

I have used the following procedure since 2007 and have not had a problem with leakage, with a few exceptions. It should last 3 days.

Irish Spring soap and water to clean the area and remove any residue. Dry completely.
Convatec ESENTA Skin Barrier Wipe
Eakin COhesive Seal (sized to fit your stoma). Be careful when you apply the seal so that it perfectly fits around your stoma. The wafer has a plastic shield inside which I press against the seal and my body; hold for at least 2 minutes.
Hollister one-piece bag (convex, meshed adhesive). When you apply the bag make sure it fits squarely on the seal.
Then put on a sized ostomy belt to hold the bag / seal in place.
Lie down flat and use your warm palm to set the seal for 30 minutes.
Your choice to either keep/remove the belt.

Items that could cause your seal to leak.

A belt or pant waistline pressing against the stoma area.
Letting rinse water reach the seal.

Hope this helps...