Pouch Deodorant Alternatives: Share Your Tips!

Replies
Views
SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 1:45 pm

Good morning.

I ran out of the lubricating deodorant I use in my pouch, so I did a search to find an alternative until my order arrived. Thought I would share. Here are some things to put in the pouch:
· Mouthwash
· Hydrogen peroxide
· Essential oil drops
· Baking soda
· Mints like TicTacs
· 2 Aspirin tablets
· Toothpaste
· 1/4th to 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon

Other than putting things in your pouch:
· Drink a glass of cranberry juice each day
· Chopped spinach, eaten once or twice a week helps eliminate odor
· Pepto-Bismol is an effective deodorant. Take 1 tablet immediately after meals.
· Eat parsley to eliminate odor.

I would love to hear what other folks are doing.

eefyjig
Jan 11, 2023 1:56 pm

I'm curious to hear what others say, too!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Jan 11, 2023 1:57 pm

e too!

I just spray it with the same cleaner/antiseptic, deodorant that we use for most of the other surfaces around the house. It seems to work OK for me.

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 2:11 pm
Reply to Bill

That's a good idea, Bill!

Justbreathe
Jan 11, 2023 2:40 pm

Ouch! That's what Seymour aka Vesuvius would say! Are you talking about putting these chemicals inside your pouch? You know there is a very sensitive appendage living in there, right? He's accustomed to talking shit and being full of hot air, but wonder what would be his reaction if these items came crashing down on him? Just sayin' jb

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 2:56 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Hmmm, good point JB. I guess I wasn't thinking about chemicals. I clean with essential oils and such. Maybe Bill meant he sprays it on the outside?

Hairdresser
Jan 11, 2023 3:01 pm

Thanks for these alternatives, I am going to try these. I have to buy my own deodorant drops and it can get expensive! Thanks again

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 3:31 pm
Reply to Hairdresser

Me too, hairdresser. A bottle of it is approximately $27.00 here. I was going to try baby oil with lavender essential oils in it next.

HenryM
Jan 11, 2023 4:33 pm

I've been using baking soda for years.  Works fine.  I just dip a little bit in after emptying.  

AlexT
Jan 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Your bag smells?

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 4:39 pm
Reply to AlexT

Lol. At times, my pouch needs some freshness.

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 4:41 pm
Reply to HenryM

I'm going to give that a try as well. Thanks, Henry.

Justbreathe
Jan 11, 2023 7:09 pm
Reply to SallyK

I was referring to any and all chemicals, elements, compounds, etc. being dropped in and onto stomas. Sounds like an invitation/recipe with a possible disastrous outcome.

Justbreathe
Jan 11, 2023 7:13 pm
Reply to HenryM

Sounds like this may be the safest as long as you don't add vinegar

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 7:19 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

OMG, wouldn't that be a fun science experiment! That's what I use to unclog my drains.

Bill
Jan 11, 2023 7:22 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Hello Justbreathe.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my post. That's what comes of being in a hurry and not explaining myself in detail.

The fact is, by using my own baseplates, I am able to take them right off everyday (twice a day if necessary). This gives me the opportunity of cleaning the bags/sleeves thoroughly whilst they are away from the stoma.  I also still irrigate daily, so this also offers the opportunity of working with the devices away from the stoma without output. 
I have every confidence that none of the chemicals ever come in contact with my skin or the stoma. Realising that most people do not use these techniques,  I apologise if I was not precise enough in my explanation on this occasion.

Best wishes

Bill 

Justbreathe
Jan 11, 2023 7:33 pm
Reply to Bill

Understood and indeed, your situation differs from most. My real question is, do people really drop all these different items in and onto a stoma?

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 7:50 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

I usually use Coloplast Brava lubricating deodorant. I'm going to try a couple of different things now... 1) the baking soda 2) baby oil with essential oils in it.

AlexT
Jan 11, 2023 7:51 pm
Reply to Bill

As I'm pouring all the Mr. Clean (seemed fitting) out of my bag.

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 7:53 pm
Reply to AlexT

You made me laugh so hard .... (fill in the blanks) LOL

eefyjig
Jan 11, 2023 7:54 pm

Dumb question: Sally, would the oil from the essential oils interfere with the adhesion of the barrier ring?

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 7:56 pm
Reply to eefyjig

I don't know... I guess I will find out. LOL I will keep you posted.

I did find this. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31476706/

eefyjig
Jan 11, 2023 10:10 pm

Would sodium bicarbonate ear drops work? Those you could more easily bring along with you when you're out of the house.

SallyK
Jan 11, 2023 10:50 pm
Reply to eefyjig

That's a great idea. You can make your own by mixing 1 part baking soda and 10 parts water. Put into a little bottle and away you go.

Axl
Jan 11, 2023 11:15 pm
Reply to SallyK

It works ... I also have a shallow three-inch-wide bowl of it in the toilet as a deodorizer.

AlexT
Jan 12, 2023 1:32 am

You all really have a big problem with odor?

eefyjig
Jan 12, 2023 3:11 am
Reply to AlexT

Some times are worse than others but definitely yes. Maybe more of an issue with ileostomies?

blondedagmar1
Jan 12, 2023 12:43 pm
Reply to SallyK

I use baby oil to lubricate. Be careful who makes the oil. I don't buy oil not made in the US. Some stores sell oil from China, won't use, don't know what's in it.

Daria Luna
Jan 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Reply to eefyjig

I would strongly caution everyone not to use essential oils. Not only are many of them irritating to mucous membranes, but most will break down plastics too. I had a business selling my own line of oils and an education at an accredited health science college, so I can tell you it's not a good idea.

blondedagmar1
Jan 12, 2023 7:52 pm

Haven't tried anything for making smell better, just the oil for lub. Works great, little in the bottom of the pouch and I'm good.