Need New Ostomy Supplier - Recommendations?

Replies
Views
Daughter
Mar 12, 2023 11:23 am

Hello all,

My mom has a colostomy and we have been using Medline to order supplies since she was discharged from hospital/rehab back in September of this year. The visiting nurse helped us create an account with Medline and verified that they were in network with mom's insurance.

Just a couple of days ago, we received an automated phone call from Medline that starting April 1, 2023, they will no longer be in network with my mom's insurance.

Can anyone recommend a supplier they are happy with?

Or is there a supplier you are unhappy with?

Beth22
Mar 12, 2023 11:54 am

I would say number one I have had so far is Bryham, Comfort Medical is pretty good, if she wears Coloplast 1800 Medical doesn't carry them.

I would highly recommend DO NOT go with Edgepark, they overcharge you and your insurance, you don't get your full order, they actually left me an entire month without any bags. My mom had to pay for bags out of pocket because they left me high and dry without. They sent me only half of a two-piece system. I called multiple times and never received the other half, so I sent back the half order to get a return and in return they tried taking more money instead.

Prism I wouldn't go with either unless you use all Safe n Simple products, they will send you bags of who you wear but everything else (powder, adhesive remover, wipes etc.) is only Safe n Simple unless you pay them full price out of pocket. It doesn't matter if you're in network with them.

I hope that helps you out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Killshot_24523
Mar 12, 2023 12:08 pm

Comfort Medical is good.

Daughter
Mar 12, 2023 12:28 pm
Reply to Beth22

Beth22,

This is very helpful!! Thank you so much. My mom uses Convatec products. I did try calling 180 medical when mom got home from the hospital and left a message, and I was shocked they never returned my call. The hospital did not give me many suggestions for suppliers, just maybe three or four. Edgepark was one of the ones listed as recommended suppliers. I will definitely not contact them based on what your experience was. Thank you for all your feedback!

Daughter
Mar 12, 2023 12:28 pm
Reply to Killshot_24523

Thank you, Killshot!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22
Mar 12, 2023 3:12 pm
Reply to Daughter

I am glad it was helpful... Yeah, the same thing happened when I first got mine done. I didn't have a list and they were supposed to have set me up with a supplier, but I had to do it all myself. I don't know if they told you when you place your first order to order everything. Even if you don't use paste or barrier rings at the moment, you might later, but that way it already went through approval with your doctor. If you order it later, it could delay your order because it has to go through approval with your doctor first. I hope that made sense.

Audrey Warren
Mar 12, 2023 7:16 pm

I use Edgepark and have no complaints. I can't speak to overcharging but my orders are always complete. If I need anything adjusted concerning an order, Edgepark complies.

Beth22
Mar 12, 2023 8:05 pm
Reply to Audrey Warren

I am really glad they aren't doing it to you. You must be a lucky one. They are still harassing me after 6 months trying to get money that I don't owe. I sent the half order back and they are still trying to charge. They actually owe me money. And a lot of others are having the same issues along with other issues.

Riva
Mar 12, 2023 10:25 pm

Try Adapt Health Patient Care Solutions

Daughter
Mar 13, 2023 9:12 am
Reply to Riva

Thank you, Riva.

Nungsr
Mar 13, 2023 12:37 pm
Reply to Beth22

I love Comfort Medical. They have helped me get situated, and now they are my go-to supplier.

Beth22
Mar 13, 2023 1:17 pm
Reply to Nungsr

Comfort Medical is who I had when I first got my ostomy. They were pretty good.

my forever friend
Mar 13, 2023 1:24 pm

Nextra has been good.

gracie in texas
Mar 13, 2023 2:29 pm

I have used Byram for many years with mostly good success, but occasionally they run out or don't support some of my supplies. I like Aloe Vesta, a skin cleansing spray, and AllCare, a sticky barrier wipe. Byram would charge for the former and was most reluctant to send the latter, sending me other wipes instead. Peculiarly, I found both on Amazon! They have other products as well, and I understand one can set up their insurance with them, although I have never done that. The items arrived very quickly.

Ostomate & woundr
Mar 13, 2023 3:41 pm

I personally use Comfort Medical mainly because they have been the most consistent with deliveries. But I have a suggestion: Simply call the phone number on the back of her card and speak with her insurance case manager. They will be able to provide you with a list of providers that are in her network.

One thing I have found as the ostomy nurse is that everybody's chemistry is different. While Hollister might work on somebody, Convatec might work better on somebody else. For years, Convatec Durahesive was the only thing that would stick to me. Then over time, the pH in my body changed and only the Coloplast starfish design would fit and stay on.

AgentSmith
Mar 13, 2023 5:33 pm

Good question. When my insurance stopped covering Convatec supplies, I started using Mega Medical, which can give a bulk discount if you buy over 10 boxes. They seemed to be the most affordable at the time.

Rich
Mar 13, 2023 6:54 pm
Reply to Daughter

I wish I had a great recommendation for you. I'm also looking to change vendors. I do know that Edgepark has become the worst supplier ever! Missing shipments, 1/2 orders, backordered items that never ship, constant notifications to confirm my order (that I just confirmed) and more. I've had to stock up on supplies out of pocket (which were only slightly higher than Edgepark charged for my deductible!) . I used Byram years ago and will go back to them if they take my insurance. I'm glad you're helping your Mom.

Daughter
Mar 13, 2023 9:59 pm
Reply to Rich

Thank you, Rich! I seem to be getting not such great feedback on Edgepark, so I crossed that name off the list. I called my mom's insurance earlier today and confirmed that Comfort Medical and Byram are both in network. I will call over the next couple of days to set up an account with one of them. Thanks!

Daughter
Mar 13, 2023 10:00 pm
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to call Comfort Medical in the next couple of days.

Torresbeto
Mar 14, 2023 1:32 pm

I've also had similar issues with Edgepark.

Daughter
Mar 14, 2023 11:06 pm

Update 3/14: I called Comfort Medical today and was advised they only solely offer Coloplast products. My mom uses ConvaTec products so it didn't work out. The agent told me they used to deal with other manufacturers but now only with Coloplast.

My second call was to Byram Healthcare. I was able to submit an order with Byram. Items will ship next month. Does anyone know how billing works with Byram? How fast do you get a bill for an order? With Medline, we still have yet to receive a bill from October, November, December, etc.

Beth22
Mar 15, 2023 3:11 am
Reply to Daughter

I am with Bryam too. With Bryam, they will ship out your order, then the following month would be a bill. I got my new shipment in 2-3 days.

doodle0429
Mar 15, 2023 3:58 am

May I suggest Liberator Medical. I also use Convatec and have had an ileostomy since 2007 due to Crohn's disease. Have had great service and no insurance issues thus far, highly recommend.

Daughter
Mar 15, 2023 9:25 am
Reply to Beth22

Thank you, Beth!

Weird question, do you see claims for your colostomy supplies that are billed to your insurance? My mom's insurance advised us when she came home from the hospital that she would have to pay 20% of the Medicare allowable amount.

I check my mom's insurance claims through her online portal frequently and I never saw any claims submitted with Medline's name. I wasn't sure if colostomy supplies get paid through claims just like doctor visits. I always like to check claims and verify payments with insurance.

Daughter
Mar 15, 2023 9:26 am
Reply to doodle0429

Thank you!! I will keep that in mind if we are unhappy with Byrham.

Daughter
Mar 20, 2023 1:22 am

Thank you everyone for your help!

Can anyone with insurance advise if you see claims for your ostomy supplies?

I had previously mentioned that my mom's insurance said she would have to pay 20% of the Medicare allowed amount for all her colostomy supplies but with her previous medical supplier, we still haven't seen a bill yet and it's been six months. Not sure if they are just really behind in billing claims or if we will not get a bill.

With our new medical supplier, I want to make sure we are being billed accurately so I was wondering if there are claims where you see what it was billed for, what insurance paid, and what you are responsible for.

Beth22
Mar 20, 2023 5:23 pm

On a bill from your supplier, it will show the amount you owe, along with a list of what was in your order. For all the information together, the breakdown of what the insurance covered, what you owe, and the cost amount of supplies, that will be on an explanation letter from your insurance company. And they will bill the following month, so your supplies will get shipped out and before the next shipment, they should bill you for the $20 you owe from the first shipment.

Virgo68
Apr 02, 2023 1:07 am

I also use Byram and so far they have been very good. As for billing, I'm never sure what it will cost but I know my insurance covers a good portion of the expenses. Once they've received insurance payment, they will bill you and so far mine hasn't been really high. I'm happy with them, but sometimes I would like to try other products they don't carry. So seeing your post helps me with another supplier, possibly Comfort Medical.

Beth22
Apr 02, 2023 4:21 am
Reply to Virgo68

You can call the manufacturer and ask for the products you would like to try, and they will send you samples.

imsafanwa
Apr 18, 2023 5:22 pm

Shield Healthcare has been great here in WA state. The account was set up for me by my lovely ostomy nurse while I was still in the hospital. New orders arrive on the second day and are accurate so far.