Is an Ostomy Considered a Disability?

Replies
Views
dmo101
Jul 21, 2023 2:29 pm

I have filled out lots of job applications in the last 6 months.

Every time I come to the question on an application, "Do you have a disability?" I wondered if an ileostomy counts in today's world?

Caz67
Jul 21, 2023 2:55 pm

Good question, the powers that be say it's not a disability. However, if it came down to trying to apply for jobs, I do know for a fact that if you put "yes," they have to give you an interview.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE
Jul 21, 2023 2:56 pm

If it doesn't stop you from doing anything, then it's not a disability. Regards, IGGIE

eefyjig
Jul 21, 2023 3:55 pm

Hi Dmo, I wonder - if you said you had a disability, would it help in getting your own bathroom??

Beth22
Jul 21, 2023 3:55 pm

Actually, it's what they call a hidden disability. Hidden because the fact that you can't see it first off hand as if you can with someone with a walker or wheelchair. It is considered a disability because we have an impairment of a major body function and we now have to use a prosthetic device (our bags). We have to take extra breaks with jobs to empty or change a bag, eating, and drinking. But you are covered under the ADA act, which is the American Disability Act. Now there becomes a fine line if you are trying to get disability with your state. Which if you are, I can explain that one too and the process if you want me to.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LJB222
Jul 21, 2023 4:37 pm

I think it depends on the impact it has on your life.

Justbreathe
Jul 21, 2023 5:25 pm

DMO101.....You could answer "depends" then when you get the interview - full disclosure

Okay, so just trying to lighten things up....

TerryLT
Jul 21, 2023 8:07 pm

If you live in Canada, having an ostomy makes you a 'person with a disability' according to the federal government, which makes you eligible for a yearly tax exemption which is considerable, around $8,000 for me.

Terry

Justbreathe
Jul 21, 2023 8:15 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Wow - good information! That could pay Canadian relocation expenses, eh?

Jb

w30bob
Jul 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Hi dmo,

The answer to your question is yes... it is considered a disability. Same goes for UC or Crohn's Disease. Here's what the interweb says about ostomies... "While many persons who have had ostomy or continent diversion surgery may not consider themselves to be disabled or impaired, they are protected under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) against employment-based discrimination in the workplace." That's from the UOAA and you can read the full version here

https://www.ostomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Workplace_Discrimination_Resource_2021_Update.pdf

I should add that the reason they ask you that with job applications is to determine if they need to provide 'reasonable accommodations', since they cannot not hire you because you have a disability. But in reality most reasonable accommodations cost money, so they'd probably find another reason not to hire you. You're not required to report your disability if it doesn't impact your ability to do the work, so I'd lay low on that, unless you do need some specific accommodations.

O)

TerryLT
Jul 22, 2023 8:18 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

We would love to have you JB!!

Scuba_diver1972
Jul 22, 2023 9:14 pm

That's a very tricky question...! Depending on your disease and if you have a colostomy or high output ileostomy, if you had cancer and cured or shall I say remission from operation than it's possible to go back to work if everything is up to doc standards and you know you! You feel strong and well enough to work than work! If the latter is true than you probably qualify for SSID.

Past Member
Jul 23, 2023 2:00 pm
Reply to Beth22

Beth22, I am from PA and would like to know the process. Thank you

dmo101
Jul 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Reply to Anonymous

Me too...on the from PA part.

dmo101
Jul 24, 2023 2:53 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Packing my bags and moving to Canada...ehhhh. LOL

jghandymann20
Jul 24, 2023 7:52 pm

It is a disability. I haven't been able to work since I got mine! You can dehydrate real fast. Prolapse the stoma and herniate the site. Lifting things has become a thing of the past. Apply for SSD. There's also the mental aspect of the whole thing. It'll only take one time of your bag blowing and you'll feel real embarrassed.

Beth22
Jul 26, 2023 3:09 am

Hey all, so touching base on my previous post... I wasn't implying that because we have a bag we qualify for disability. I was saying yes, we have a disability. We are considered a hidden disability and are covered under the ADA act. Yet it's different to be qualified as disabled.

Hisbiscus
Jul 30, 2023 9:47 pm

They told me no that it is not a disability. They are really not giving out disability for much these days unless you have cancer or mental health or developmental disabilities. It's real hard to get it because they will say you can do some kind of work.

bag-changer
Dec 23, 2023 4:40 am

Definitely! :(