8 Months Post-Surgery: My Journey to Recovery and Confidence

Replies
Views
Danno
Aug 19, 2023 6:34 pm

That's me.. :) 8 months out from what I thought was the worst moment of my life. As we all know, going through the trauma before and even after surgery, can be hard to recover from.

I haven't been on here in a while but figured I'd swing by for an update.

Since the big day I took a few months off to focus on recovery. I followed the rules, didn't lift anything heavy, and kept a food journal.

3 months in I started exploring with new foods, the gym, and even travel. With every small success came confidence.

Today I'm almost 8 months out and…

• I've travelled twice and both trips included many strenuous activities, water sports, and even climbing mountains. (Picture above) lol
  • I'm about 90% back to my gym routine before surgery. Deadlifting about 175, running, biking, etc. I should mention that I wear a stealth belt night and day, 24/7 since the surgery keeps everything snug and me confident
  • the big one… food. I've had just about everything and it all comes out. I spend more time chewing things that need it, but easily digesting foods I eat and chew like before. When I'm very worried or trying something new, I'll usually accompany it with a beer or something. -
  • I empty my pouch 3 times a day and once at night on average. Mucus output has increased to like once a day.

Just swinging by for some positivity and good vibes. Hope everyone is well.

Morning glory
Aug 19, 2023 8:16 pm

It's good to hear you have adjusted so well. Stay in touch.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,854 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT
Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

Good to hear you are doing so well, Danno!

Terry

MoeMoe
Aug 20, 2023 7:15 am

So amazing!! 👊🏽 I'm hitting 6 weeks post-op colostomy and I love when people are in a good place, gives me hope! Glad all is going good and you are doing well! 

SallyK
Aug 20, 2023 10:35 am

Good to hear you are doing so well, Danno! 🤩

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Danno
Aug 20, 2023 7:20 pm
Reply to MoeMoe

You got this!!!

Newileostomy88
Aug 21, 2023 12:51 am

Similar to mine. Hope you are doing well. I am also on a 3-step surgery plan. The first one was no problem and I rank it a 3 out of 10 on a pain scale. The second one with the loop ileostomy was very painful at an 8 out of 10. This is for me obviously, everyone is different.

The hardest part for me for the second one was getting the bowel to wake up. I threw up a lot of bile the first few days because I wasn't moving enough and walking around. I have the third one scheduled for December. My pouch is well but I do get a lot of mucus throughout the day.

markmd1112
Aug 21, 2023 12:08 pm
Reply to Danno

Which surgery did you have?

Doe1mama
Aug 21, 2023 1:16 pm

You're doing great!!!

rlevineia
Aug 21, 2023 1:54 pm

You drink beer? I miss it. It gas fills my pouch fast. I empty 7-8 times a day. UC/Crohn's & I must eat several times a day. Got a small prolapse from lifting. You are lucky & probably young. It took me 3+ years to get strong enough to hike Glacier/Canadian Rockies. I lost my core & gave up climbing. Keep on hiking!! Sorry for the inverted pic.

Superme
Aug 21, 2023 5:34 pm

Danny, you are a trooper! I was born in Canada and had an ileostomy since I was 20. I live and work in Houston, the hotspot in North America. I still run, bike, use an elliptical on the highest setting, I swim arms only (I'm not disabled), and use small weights for my arm strength. I do not even want to try lifting because of the possibility of a hernia. Please be careful with that, Danny. I wear a Stealthbelt 24/7 too and can eat anything also. I will be 65 in October. Enjoying life every minute I can get in. Be well! Mike

ELK NUT
Aug 21, 2023 10:36 pm

Danno,

So, what did you end up being diagnosed with that caused your life-changing surgery?

Danno
Aug 22, 2023 7:51 pm
Reply to Newileostomy88

For me, the first one was a breeze. I didn't even fill my prescription when I got home.

Do you know any reason why the second one hurt more? And in which ways? My system fell asleep too, and I did the same. Just spent the day throwing up bile, and it came back online.

Danno
Aug 22, 2023 7:51 pm
Reply to markmd1112

Temp ileostomy. I have two more to go!

Danno
Aug 22, 2023 7:53 pm
Reply to rlevineia

I do drink beer. Often too. Haha. I'm not sure why but my gas levels actually reduce after a night of drinking. I don't normally see liquid output unless I drink a few days in a row.

Honestly, I think I get more gas on the days I don't drink. Maybe cause I eat more? Who knows.

Danno
Aug 22, 2023 7:56 pm
Reply to Superme

Glad you're doing awesome!

I obviously would never want a hernia, but I continue to push myself a little more each day. I should mention that I had a really strong core going into the surgery. I've been a very active fitness freak my whole life.

Danno
Aug 22, 2023 7:58 pm
Reply to ELK NUT

I suffered from severe UC for the last 7-8 years. It wasn't an emergency surgery but my quality of life was horrible and continued to get worse. I was on every medication and biological there is. So... The surgery was a choice. Some days I regret it… others I think it was the best choice I ever made.

DexieB
Aug 25, 2023 3:21 pm

Love this! Thanks for giving me hope. Mine was emergency surgery 3 months ago, so the recovery might be longer, but I hope to continually feel better.