Swimming with an Ostomy: Swimsuit Tips and Bag Security

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Sep 01, 2023 11:51 pm

Does anyone here go swimming? If so, first off, what type of swimsuit do you wear? Second, how do you keep your ostomy bag secured?

Thanks,

Lee

eefyjig
Sep 02, 2023 12:46 am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q9FJF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0876WZ3J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Hi Lee, I use the high waist bottoms of the first one and the black top in the second. My bag is completely covered by the high waist, even when the water "lifts" my top up and it kind of floats on the top of the water, and everything is snug.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 34,017 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva
Sep 02, 2023 12:41 pm

Hi. Living in Florida, having an ileo, I swim almost daily. Check out Ostomy Secrets. They will have whatever you are looking for. Enjoy and remember to stay hydrated.

CrappyColon
Sep 02, 2023 12:46 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Lori, I think one of my swimsuits is the same style bottom as these. I know my cousin used one of these after her c-section too. The bottoms are great like you said.

AlexT
Sep 02, 2023 1:39 pm

Your ostomy stuff isn't going to fall off just because it gets wet.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eefyjig
Sep 02, 2023 2:32 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Jodie, right though? It took me a few tries to find this combination for a swimsuit. It really is perfect for many situations, c-section like you said, too. It's also ruched (the guys are all googling "ruched" now!πŸ˜‚.) That, and the pattern, draw attention away from the bag.

CrappyColon
Sep 03, 2023 3:44 am
Reply to eefyjig

My surgeon told me I couldn't let my incisions see the sun so the bottoms are perfect. I had bought some bandages to cover my scars when I knew I'd be out on the water for a while but even the shorts style I got for kayaking worked out so I didn't need to use the bandages. The only thing I wish is that I could order the pieces separately.

AlexT
Sep 03, 2023 1:28 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Yeah, so? 😁

eefyjig
Sep 03, 2023 2:38 pm
Reply to AlexT

😜

almelia
Sep 04, 2023 4:53 pm

Swimming, kayaking, scuba - all fine. Only once had a problem in the pool where my new tankini briefs were too skimpy so I had to tuck the top into the bottoms to so nothing was on show as I was climbing out! For kayaking I now prefer separate neoprene wetsuit pants and rash vest: just easier if I need the bathroom!!

ahynes111
Sep 04, 2023 5:19 pm

I was concerned about getting in water while on my first vacation. I bought a 'very high' waisted black bikini bottom with a top. I had no issues at all. I even lay in the sun in 30-degree heat. Sites suggested a two-piece so if I have to go to the washroom, it's easier to deal with. While on vacation, a woman walked by with a bikini. A bag was over the bottom and free for all to see (opaque obviously). She was not concerned. I kind of nudged my daughter to show her, and the woman saw me and turned a bit almost embarrassed? I felt bad, but it was just because she wasn't concerned, it made it more interesting to me.

heidoo65
Sep 04, 2023 11:58 pm

I wear the higher-waisted skirted bathing suit bottoms. Also, I use waterproof Hy-tape (1" wide) and seal the wafer around the stoma. If you put it on securely, you won't have any problems at all.

kmedup
Sep 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Spent 5 hours in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland with a cut, peel and stick Coloplast bag. No issues whatsoever, mind you, I have a colostomy. K

Barbiedoll34c
Sep 05, 2023 6:10 pm

Glad to see this question posted, because I finally have an answer that I can share! Had an ileostomy and worried about going in the water as well. Found myself going to the pool, and simply sitting on the side of the pool, fearful about going in and getting my bottom wet. I know, everyone said I could, but I just couldn't work up the nerve to do it! Two weeks ago, I finally did! My granddaughter was with me, and the weather was so very hot, I just couldn't resist! She looked wonderful cooling off in the water, and I had to join her. It was wonderful! I was so happy with myself for getting up the guts to do it, and I didn't have a problem at all. As soon as I got home, I changed the bag, and I was good to go! The wet bag went, and the dry one came!! Go for it. I wore my usual bathing suit, which is a two piece, and it is high waisted, so nothing showed!!

infinitycastle52777
Sep 06, 2023 5:38 pm
Reply to eefyjig

This is what I decided to try, it is not your typical swimsuit but I am going to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Inno-Swimsuits-Boyshorts-Surfing-Swimwear/dp/B09TPVB7BG/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=37L2AFHV30H3U&keywords=plus%2Bsize%2Bswimsuit&qid=1694021840&sprefix=plus%2Bsize%2Bswimsuit%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1

infinitycastle52777
Sep 06, 2023 5:40 pm
Reply to Riva

Riva, you have no problems with the bag coming loose or peeling off?

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Sep 06, 2023 5:46 pm
Reply to ahynes111

Ahynes111,

That is surprising that someone would wear their bag for all to see. I think that would take a lot of guts.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Sep 06, 2023 5:51 pm
Reply to Barbiedoll34c

Barbiedoll34c,

That is really encouraging. To cover my bag, it would have to be a very high waist, as my stoma placement is up nearly under my breast, not down low at my waist. But that you could go in the water with no problem is encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Lee

eefyjig
Sep 06, 2023 6:58 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Cute! Just be relaxed, bring an extra bag and enjoy the water!

Riva
Sep 07, 2023 1:19 am
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Not at all. I wear a wrap from Ostomy Secrets. Check it out. Don't let having a stoma define who you are. Keep things simple and enjoy yourself.

Lins0808
Sep 09, 2023 1:58 pm

I have had an ileostomy since I was a kid (I'm 54). I've always loved swimming - ocean, pool, lake, ponds. I wear high-waisted, dark-colored, two-piece swimsuits (they are everywhere now) or a one-piece. I've found the odd lighter, brighter colored bottom or suit that works - if the fabric is thick or ruched. But usually, I leave the pretty colors for the tops and stick to navy or black for the bottoms. With a well-fitted suit, there are no problems. My stoma is to the right, under my belly button.

I've never had to change my bag to swim. I just empty it in the bathroom if it's full. When going to the beach, I make sure a toilet isn't too far a walk away (I also have MS).

I was going to say β€œDive in”, but diving usually changes the way I folded my bag under my suit, so I usually slip in πŸ˜‰

CrappyColon
Sep 09, 2023 5:41 pm
Reply to almelia

I really needed the neoprene pants when I was out kayaking. I wear a rash guard when kayaking for longer periods or if I'm somewhere the sun is more intense. After my legs got burned, I was all over stores in S. FL looking for that type of pants. The ones I found weren't the actual neoprene material but I thought could work. I didn't end up using them with how hot it was.