Has anyone had their pouch open in the night?

Replies
Views
smeans59
Sep 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Last night I got up to use the bathroom and splat, I had a bowel movement on the floor. I grabbed my pouch and ran to the toilet where I discovered my bag had come open. I usually don't have much output during the night, but I must have eaten something that caused diarrhea. I'm just back from a trip and am dealing with time change and a cold, which could have something to do with it. I'm also pretty conscientious about making sure my pouch is sealed. I don't know if it was the weight of my output or if somehow rolling over in my sleep I opened it. I obviously would like to prevent this from happening again. Needless to say, it was a mess and I didn't really care to take a shower at 2:30 in the morning. Fortunately, my bed was basically clean and I could go back to bed without changing the sheets. My husband slept through the whole ordeal. I'm 6 weeks post-surgery. I've had minor leaks, etc., but this was my first real mess. I'm grateful I was at home and not in a hotel or anywhere else, but I'm terrified of it happening again. I know that this probably won't be my last blowout, but I sure hope so…

Mysterious Mose
Sep 21, 2023 7:39 pm

Yes. That happened to me once. I use Hollister bags with the Velcro closure and I was experimenting with baby oil. I got a bit too carried away and it weakened the Velcro adhesion. The result was a mess in my favorite bamboo sheets. Since that time, I stopped using baby oil entirely and I also have taken to making one additional fold in the bag tail after closing the Velcro and adding a clip to it, as below. No more problems. :-)

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

smeans59
Sep 21, 2023 7:49 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks! The baby oil may have something to do with it - makes sense. I may have to look into a clip or tucking the end back into the pouch.

TerryLT
Sep 21, 2023 9:17 pm

Well, I can do you one better. I had the top piece of my two-piece appliance (Hollister) come completely off during the night. I woke up in a pool of liquid feces that had soaked through my white (of course) sheets, and the mattress cover. It was around the same time, 2:30 a.m., so I had to strip the bed and remake it, as well as shower and apply a new pouch. What a mess. I've also had a mishap where I hadn't applied enough pressure to the Velcro strip and it suddenly let go, but this was during the day at home, so not as bad. I am extra careful with the Velcro now, and I don't wear a two-piece system anymore.

Terry

Mysterious Mose
Sep 21, 2023 9:46 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Yikes! The closest I've ever come to losing the pouch altogether was in a dream. I am very diligent about click-click until no more click-clicks and have not had that problem. Yet. However, if for some reason I am unable to have my reversal next month, I may opt for a one-piece system on my next order. I have never changed the pouch only. Even the one time I had a blow-out. I change the entire appliance on Tuesdays and Saturdays, unless I have pancaking. So, two-piece systems don't make a lot of sense, I guess.

Daniel

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy
Sep 22, 2023 2:21 am

Yikes! One thing about having an ostomy... Shit happens.

So far no leaks or blowouts. My colostomy has fairly thick output, so I don't have the challenges urostomy and ileostomy ostomates deal with.

I use Hollister 2-piece system. Change bags 2 times a week. Redo wafer every Sunday. Some things I've learned:

After emptying the bag, I hold the Velcro end straight up and push output downward into the bag. I do this until all the plastic closure area is clear of poop. This way when I fold, then press the Velcro closed, the surfaces are firm and not springy. Also press Velcro in the middle first, then work toward the ends. When done, gently pull up on the plastic end on the Velcro to ensure it's fully stuck together.

After snapping the bag on, I get a mirror and look at the bottom of the flange to ensure full closure and no gaps.

I have a peristomal hernia. So I wear a thin Hollister belt that clips to the bag flange. Comfortable and easy to adjust. Provides extra protection against bag popping off.

I sleep on a couch with sheet and blankets. Prevents me from rolling over on my bag during the night.

Cheers

Dan

Ice
Sep 22, 2023 11:17 am

6 weeks post-surgery and it sounds like you were on a big trip!!! Way to not let it slow you down.

dmo101
Sep 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. Nothing like the middle of the night clean up.

In 32 years of having an ostomy, my tail closure has never come open. I have had leaks from the faceplate that attaches to your skin. I do not like or trust these newfangled Velcro closures. I use the old-fashioned plastic clamps on the tail closure.

Good luck.

ron in mich
Sep 22, 2023 1:08 pm

Hi Smeans, I guess if you haven't had shit running down your leg, you haven't truly lived a good life. Lol, it happens sooner or later and it's a learning experience whether we like it or not. The first time for me was also in the middle of the night, and I rolled over on my bag and it popped open. The second time, I got up to leave a restaurant and the plastic clip broke that I used too long and made a hasty retreat to the bathroom to clean up and a stinky ride home.

Ben38
Sep 22, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes, but only way back when I used the old plastic slam down closures clips and hadn't pressed them hard enough to close properly, have forgotten to close Velcro closure and roll & lock systems more times than I care to remember. Lol

smeans59
Sep 22, 2023 5:04 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Yep, you got me on that one. Ugh, hopefully, a one and done event.

smeans59
Sep 22, 2023 7:15 pm
Reply to Ice

Thanks! I was 3 weeks post-surgery, and I went on a 2-week cruise in the Mediterranean. My doctor wasn't thrilled, and I may have been pushing it a bit, but we had planned this trip two years ago, and nothing was going to stop me from going. Fortunately, all went well, and I'm glad I went.

blackpooljean
Sep 22, 2023 11:36 pm
Reply to smeans59

I don't like Velcro. My bags come with a clip.

Beachboy
Sep 24, 2023 2:04 am

Hey Mysterious M,

What a great idea... a small paper clip on the Velcro. I immediately put one on mine. Thanks!

Mysterious Mose
Sep 24, 2023 2:57 am
Reply to Beachboy

Truth be told, I originally saw that here when I first joined. Don't recollect by whom.

Daniel

weewee
Sep 24, 2023 6:36 am

I have had both fail on me. The clip got caught on the belt and broke. Some of the old style Velcro got stuck on the belt also and opened on me. But my ostomy is way high on me and the tail is right at the belt line, so when I sit, it can get stuck. But the Coloplast I have now has 2 Velcro tabs, one on each side. So far, knock on wood, it's my fault. I get rushed and forget to check the tabs because I preseal them. So when I have to change fast, it's already to go, but sometimes it gets the best of me.

IGGIE
Sep 24, 2023 1:32 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

G'day M & M, I see you copied my invention of a few weeks ago. Regards, Iggie

AlexT
Sep 24, 2023 2:11 pm

Nope, never had mine open up when closed properly. Pressing the Velcro hard enough to get it to lock together is an issue for some.

eefyjig
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 pm

Mine never opened by itself in the middle of the night but I have had lazy moments when I've taken the binder clip off and opened it up to burp it, all trying to avoid getting up to empty. I just did this last night twice and the second time I had some froth come out so I had to get up anyway to clean up.🙄

eefyjig
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 pm
Reply to IGGIE

That little binder clip is the best, isn't it?

Mysterious Mose
Sep 24, 2023 3:07 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Yes. Now I remember. I knew it was one of the veterans. Looks like I even copied your color coordination. :-)

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Sep 24, 2023 3:15 pm
Reply to eefyjig

And that is why I learned to never burp my bag outside of a bathroom. I also learned not to try to vent the gas without fully opening the closure. One time spraying shit out of my personal space was enough for me to come up with a proper technique. :-))

Daniel

smeans59
Sep 25, 2023 1:01 am

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's good to know I'm not the only one, and I learn excellent tips for preventing mishaps in the future.

IGGIE
Sep 27, 2023 10:55 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

G'day M & M, I thought you might like to see how I make sure the clip doesn't open by itself by gluing a strong magnet to the clip. It holds well when you fold it over. Regards, Iggie

IGGIE
Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm
Reply to Ben38

G'day Ben, you said you have forgotten to close the end of the bag a few times. What I do is when I open a new box of 10 bags, I close every one of them right away. That way, you never get poop down your leg. Regards, Iggie

Mysterious Mose
Sep 27, 2023 5:33 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Clever. If for some currently unknown reason I cannot have my surgery in 2 weeks, I will get out the gorilla glue. :-)

Thanks!

Daniel

TerryLT
Sep 27, 2023 8:58 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I remember my ostomy nurse telling me it was a good idea to do that, but I'm usually too lazy or busy to do it!

Terry

IGGIE
Sep 28, 2023 12:56 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hi M & M, are you going to have a J-Pouch? If you are, I would like to have a talk with you. I had a J-Pouch for 18 years before going back to a stoma. I could private message you if you want.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 28, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi Iggie. No J-pouch is necessary. My entire colon is MIA, but I have a complete rectum. Reconnection should be straightforward, but any and all advice is welcome. Even those that say "Don't do it!" 😄

Daniel

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 28, 2023 5:00 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

MM, it's getting closer! If I remember correctly, you have appointments on 10/2? Pre-op stuff, I presume.