Understanding the Barbie Butt Surgery: What Does It Achieve?

Replies
Views
C. Difficult
Oct 15, 2023 2:33 am

Ok, I know what the Barbie/Ken butt is, but I don't know what is achieved by sewing up your bum.

Can someone please explain? I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tee

IGGIE
Oct 15, 2023 3:29 am

Hi C, once you have your colon removed and a full ileostomy, you don't need your butt. To eliminate any possible infection down there, it's best to remove the whole thing. I have a Ken butt, and it keeps me safe should I ever have to go to jail. Regards, Iggy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Oct 15, 2023 3:47 am

Oh Iggy... good one!

infinitycastle52777
Oct 15, 2023 4:04 am

My surgeon removed my colon but left my butt, so now I get to experience the wonderful world of mucus. I think she should have just done the whole thing, but everything is all closed up now, so I guess it isn't going to happen.

Lee

IGGIE
Oct 15, 2023 4:33 am
Reply to infinitycastle52777

You can still have it removed; you're still young and you could be mucus-free. Regards, Iggy

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Ben38
Oct 15, 2023 8:05 am

There is always a risk of getting cancer, and you can still get something similar to the piles I had that one time. Mucus can be a big problem for some. Mine was removed because I kept getting abscesses in there; I had some really nasty ones and had sepsis a few times from them. My ileostomy was always meant to be permanent from the start; everything was supposed to be removed, but the doctor went against my consent and left my rectum and anus in, so that's what caused my problems.

C. Difficult
Oct 15, 2023 12:52 pm

Thanks for the replies! I have an ileostomy and my surgeon left my rectum and anus. I've had a few incidents regarding mucus, but they've all presented as an urgent need to push, and what has come out has been compacted, dime-sized bits of nothingness.

When you mention problems with mucus, are you experiencing frequent painful bouts like I've described? I once had a nurse tell me some people have to wear incontinence pads as they suffer from frequent and uncontrollable messes from runny mucus freely flowing from their butt. Was she telling me the truth about that?

AlexT
Oct 15, 2023 3:03 pm

For me, my cancer was so low they had to cut everything out. So, either sew me up or I die. 😁

Mysterious Mose
Oct 15, 2023 4:16 pm
Reply to C. Difficult

As far as the uncontrollable mucus goes, I had a problem with that during my 3-month hospital stay and for the first couple of weeks after coming home. However, regular exercise and my daily 3-mile walks have made that a non-issue. I do push out mucus every couple of days or so, sometimes a couple of times a day, and there is some minor seepage I clean up during my multitude of daily bag chores. Thus far, no real issues. However, I am only 10 months into this. :-)

Daniel

C. Difficult
Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you, Daniel.

C. Difficult
Oct 15, 2023 4:44 pm

I've only passed mucus half a dozen times since my surgery almost 2 years ago, and even then I had to push it out. Do those who undergo Barbie Butt surgery have it done because the mucus freely comes out (needing incontinence pads)?

For those who experienced a lot of free-flowing mucus, did it occur shortly after surgery and during your convalescence, or did it start later?

I have no need to have the surgery at the moment.

I really appreciate your messages.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 15, 2023 5:06 pm

My free-flowing mucus slowed down over time after my surgery. It is now perfectly controllable, except for the minor seepage I mentioned. And that is very minor. I suppose the amount I walk and the pelvic floor exercises I do may have something to do with that. But, my understanding is that it slows with time. Like everything else with all this, different strokes for different folks. That part can be rather frustrating at times. But, it does keep life interesting and an interesting life is all we can ask for. :-)

Daniel

warrior
Oct 16, 2023 1:32 pm

Greetings,

I just had my Ken Butt surgery on October 9th (last Monday).

The stump that the doctor left in me was in hope of reconnection at a later time.

The ileo was done in 2016.

Mucus then was bloody from the rear.

Several meds over the next six years diminished the blood, but mucus, about the size of a teaspoon, kept coming out whenever I did anything, like coughing, sneezing, getting in and out of a car, bending, etc. A spit would discharge.

We found Crohn's in the rectum.

It was a no-brainer to decide to have it removed.

My doctor also warned about it becoming cancerous if left alone.

He also said six years after surgery is the Hail Mary approach. If nothing gets done, you say your prayers.

A cutoff date is 6 years. If you keep it without issues, you are very lucky.

I saw a post here about a lady with an ileo for 20 years. She was deciding whether or not to remove it and was researching Barbie butts.

Best of luck deciding what to do.

IGGIE
Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi C, if you are 100% sure that you're going to stay with a stoma, I would consider thinking about having your rectum removed. You're young enough to go mucus-free. Regards, Iggie

gentlejohn
Oct 16, 2023 10:42 pm

It depends on why the surgery is being done. If it is for cancer, you need to get margins to hopefully prevent recurrence. If it is for inflammatory bowel disease, a retained rectum could lead to drainage, fistulas, and infection. Keeping your rectum/anus will have problems of mucous drainage.

C. Difficult
Oct 17, 2023 12:07 am
Reply to IGGIE

It is permanent.

IGGIE
Oct 18, 2023 2:11 am
Reply to C. Difficult

Hi C, give it some thought and talk to your surgeon. Regards, Iggy

wiehejenny
Nov 14, 2023 2:39 pm
Reply to C. Difficult

Yes, she was telling the truth. I've been dealing with it for almost 2 years. I'm having the Barbie butt surgery in 10 days as that's the only way it's going to stop. I've had 3 different doctors tell me it could develop cancer too, so I'm all for getting it done. I see no point in taking that risk.