Preventing Stoma Leaks: Need Suggestions

Replies
Views
Dee25
Oct 30, 2023 7:24 am

Can anyone help with suggestions to prevent leaks? I've had my stoma for three years and have had regular leaks from the time I was in the hospital to now.

AlexT
Oct 30, 2023 1:55 pm

What do you use for equipment and what's your procedure for changing things?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Do you use pre-cut barriers or do you cut them yourself? How far does your stoma protrude? Can you use flat barriers, or do you use convex ones? The one time I am sure to get leaks is if I cut the wafer too small. Do you make sure your skin is dry after cleaning? What do you use to clean the area around the stoma? Do you try to make sure you have no folds or wrinkles in the skin under the barrier?

I'll also ask the same questions Alex posed. What products are you using and what is your procedure for changing? Do you stand or lie down?

Daniel

Ben38
Oct 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Can you see your stoma nurse at your local hospital, or do you use a home delivery company to get your supplies? They will have one and can visit you at home.

Most leaks are easily solved by nurses. If you do see one, try not to change your bag before seeing them, as a well-worn one will show any weak spots.

Are there any dips in the skin around your stoma, or do you have a flush stoma?

Cplumber
Oct 30, 2023 5:07 pm

Wear a belt!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dmo101
Oct 30, 2023 7:38 pm

See your local ostomy nurse. They have all sorts of free products to help.

Justbreathe
Oct 31, 2023 10:25 am

Hello Dee25;

I too am a 3-year ostomate. After my surgery, I felt the follow-up assistance provided by my insurance was of little use. The visiting nurse was inept on change day and did not provide any information. After joining this ostomy group and reading so many helpful suggestions and valuable information, along with some humor provided, I was able to overcome the depression and hopelessness I experienced early on in my journey. The bottom line (pun intended) for me, in response to your post, is:

Quality equipment and associated supplies (must include patience, determination, and research to discover)

Proper fit immediately surrounding the stoma (for me, it is snug) (many opinions on this)

Above all - cleanliness of skin surrounding the stoma area for stickability - as in cleaner than a freshly bathed baby's butt and requires TOTALLY NAKED SHOWERS and removal of any and all residuals - stoma powder, skin barriers, etc.

JB

Mysterious Mose
Oct 31, 2023 2:16 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

I finally took my first naked shower yesterday morning because of a rather messy leak after breakfast, and I have to agree that it is the best way to get yourself clean before the new appliance goes on. I am also learning that a close fit around the stoma is important. I just need to be sure that snug does not become tight to where the barrier folds back on itself. But from now on, it is a shower during every bag change. It took a while to learn that, but I got there. :-)

Daniel

Justbreathe
Nov 01, 2023 1:48 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Not sure what "barrier folds back on itself" means, but I cut my pouch first, being careful to follow the lines - my stoma leans toward being more oblong, but I cut a round circle anyway (I have a loop ileostomy - my stoma plus a little sidekick). The sidekick does not function - it was placed to allow for reversal at a later date. So, even though my stoma and sidekick are oblong-shaped, the circle works fine to include the entire stoma but not necessarily the entire sidekick...whew... Anyway, what I wanted to get across is this - once the hole is cut, I place a "slim" ConvaTec barrier ring over the round hole on the bag, making sure the barrier ring matches the hole in the bag exactly. Then I press and seal the edge of the barrier to the edge of the hole and press them together tightly. If they do not match exactly, the barrier will enter the inside of the bag and break into little waxy pieces. This may be what you mean by folding back? If they are matched right, then sealed together tightly, there has never been any issues for me. If they are not matched and sealed, output seeps between the two. No harm done (i.e., no leaks outside the pouch), but the skin underneath tends to need more shower cleanup. Glad to hear you finally showered naked...who but an ostomate would say glad to hear this? I love this website... 🤣. jb

Mysterious Mose
Nov 01, 2023 2:08 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

A poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was the inside edge of the wafer catching the stoma and not sealing tightly to the skin, which causes it to lift and promotes leakage.

Daniel

Justbreathe
Nov 01, 2023 6:40 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Got it - snug fit is good, but no trespassing onto the stoma! 😬

MoeMoe
Nov 04, 2023 8:39 pm

Hi! I was getting a lot of leaks in the first month after my surgery. I had great stoma nurses, and together we came up with this little trick that has helped me. I cover the filter with those little circle stickers the bags come with, and I leave a little air in the bag (plus add the lubricant), and so far, I have not had any leaks. I also have to use half a barrier ring because of a little dent under my stoma. I have been leak-free for the last 2 months. Hope you found a solution that works for you 🙂

Dee25
Nov 06, 2023 11:58 am
Reply to AlexT

Sensura Mio Convex bags, Coloplast tapes, Salt rings

Dee25
Nov 06, 2023 12:06 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I use Sensuro Mio convex bags, Coloplast tapes, and Salt rings. My stoma protrudes and I have dips, folds, and a large hernia around my stoma, hence the leaks. How I could prevent these from causing leaks, I don't know. I stand up to fit my bag. If you have new suggestions to try, I'd be very grateful.

Dee25
Nov 06, 2023 12:11 pm
Reply to MoeMoe

Thank you, I'll try this. What do you mean by lubricant? I use deodorant, which is very good, but no one has mentioned a lubricant to me.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 06, 2023 4:07 pm
Reply to Dee25

Have you tried ostomy paste? I do not have any of the physical issues you describe, so I am afraid I have no firsthand information to offer. I use Hollister pouches and barriers and have never tried flexible solutions, mostly because what I use works for me and I am somewhat leery of things that say they allow flexibility. I fear that more movement would allow for more chances to fail. I admit that this is not necessarily a rational fear and I really have nothing to base it on other than moving parts tend to wear out faster than immobile ones. I wish I could come up with some answers for you. My original questions were meant to help get more information to where people who could relate to your situation could offer advice. The more information, the better the chance for relevant comments.

Daniel

squirrels in the attic
Nov 09, 2023 10:18 pm

If you are not using stoma paste, you should try it. After 40 years (or maybe because of it), I still get leaks. I use the paste around the cut hole in the flange, but I also use Brava rings. I cut them in half and put a piece under my stoma to level things out. Usually, it works, but I have to say, I was walking to play pickleball and felt that distinct cold wetness. Just be sure to seal things well and ensure the flange is secure before attaching the bag. Hope you find a solution.

Daisy2023
Nov 22, 2023 6:21 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Don’t totally naked showers cause a mess? I would be terrified to try this. Sorry, had to ask! 

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 7:04 pm

Not at all. Just do the shower in the morning and make sure you don't eat much after dinner the night before. Since I started taking naked showers with my ileostomy, I have only had one little plop on the shower floor and that easily slid into the drain. It just takes a little planning. You have had an ileostomy for a while, so you should be familiar with how your particular stoma works. But if you don't put anything in, not much is going to come out. :=)

Daniel

Daisy2023
Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

This is true. I shower before a bag change anyways so this is planned for early morning as well. I think I would be nervous to try but would feel so clean afterwards! Thanks for the response 😊

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 8:55 pm
Reply to Daisy2023

Once you do, you will never want to do any different. At least, that is the way it was for me. :)

Daniel

Dee25
Nov 23, 2023 1:57 am
Reply to squirrels in the attic

Thanks for your comments. I will try your suggestions.

MoeMoe
Dec 03, 2023 9:42 pm
Reply to Dee25

Sorry it took a while to respond! My deodorant is also a lubricant. Honestly, I don't think the “deodorant” part works LOL. It's the “lubricant” from Adapt.

Mysterious Mose
Dec 04, 2023 5:51 pm
Reply to MoeMoe

The deodorant part seems to work for me. But my diet and rinsing my bag may have a lot to do with that. I tend to stay away from a lot of odor-producing foods, like onions in particular. And I love onions! :-(

Daniel