Anyone Else Here Bipolar? Let's Talk About It

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Nov 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Anyone else here bipolar? I have Bipolar 1 and, according to my psych nurse, I am manic right now. I am wondering if that can impact a stoma. But I am mostly wondering if anyone else wants to talk about bipolar. Lol, I know it's a strange topic. Probably no one else here even knows what I am talking about. So maybe I should shut up.

Lee

Bill
Nov 04, 2023 7:15 pm

Hello Lee. 
I think there will be a number of people who know exactly what you mean by bipolar and it is an interesting question you pose about whether it might impact on a stoma.
My own logic would tell me that any form of psychological stresses are likely to have an impact on the digestive system, which in turn might have an affect on the stoma. However, as everyone is different in so many ways, it is unlikely that any specific 'patterns' of affect would necessarily manifest at the output end of the colon. It is much more likely to be affected by medication, which is notorious for upsetting the digestive system. 
When I was working in the mental health field, I was extremely sceptical about the types of medication being prescribed for conditions that were labelled as 'disorders'. Most of these would simply put people to 'sleep' to varying degrees. However, the medication for Bipolar seemed to be one of the few medications that had a beneficial effect for those who 'suffered' with this condition. There was just one caveat to this statement, and that is the medication needed to be continued on a long-term basis, for soon after patients stopped taking it or reduced the dosage, their problems seemed to return. Often they would not notice or accept that this was happening and it needed someone else to point out that their behaviour and psyche had changed. 
Hence, those particular patients were some of the very few that I would advise to 'keep taking the medication'. 
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 34,011 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Nov 04, 2023 9:06 pm

I'm guessing if you're all worked up all the time, it could affect your insides to have more output. But I'd guess it's more about not being able to focus on any given thing for long periods of time. You know...

Mysterious Mose
Nov 04, 2023 9:08 pm

I fought colitis (non-ulcerative) for about 5 years prior to my retirement in 2018. As soon as I retired, it all went away. Until C-Diff raised its ugly head almost exactly a year ago. Stress drives a lot of digestive tract issues.

Daniel

eefyjig
Nov 04, 2023 9:24 pm

Hi Lee, I do not have bipolar disorder, but my sister does, and she has had gut issues, although not to the extent that I have. I've had anxiety and depression on and off early on in my life, along with some emotional trauma that I'm sure contributed to my intestinal woes.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Nov 05, 2023 2:24 am
Reply to Bill

Yeah, my APN for psych wants to give me an additional medication she said will slow me down and will help my bipolar medication work better. Oh yay, more medication. Strangely enough, this one she is talking about is an anticonvulsant. I don't know; she has to get my labs back first and my drug screening, which will be clear. I have been on some meds I would not recommend for anyone, namely lithium, Haldol, and Thorazine. All through my 20s and 30s, and they make you a zombie. Plus, lithium is very dangerous if you overdose on it. Damn, I am talking too much.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Nov 05, 2023 2:28 am
Reply to eefyjig

Well, one thing I wondered about gut issues, ostomies, and things is if you are sped up all the time and expending a lot of energy, would that not make your metabolism also speed up? Making digestion go faster and not giving time for nutrients to be absorbed... I don't know, it was just a curiosity I have.

Sorry to hear you had trauma in your life. I have complex PTSD from trauma.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Nov 10, 2023 5:31 am

They started me on a new medication. Thank goodness I have insurance because it is over $400 a month. It is supposed to slow me down, but so far that effect has been minimal. However, I read about it online and it said it could take a week to take full effect. It has already been nearly 3 weeks since this whole episode began, and 3 days on the medication. At least I am sleeping more than 20 minutes a night, even if it is only 2 to 3 hours a night now. There is an unfortunate side effect of the medication. I am hoping it goes away soon. For anyone out there who is or knows someone who is bipolar, the medication is called Trileptal (oxcarbazepine). It is an anticonvulsant that is used to treat manic episodes. The medication I have been taking all along is Caplyta. It has worked for a long time, just recently it hasn't been as effective. So I will be taking both now. Hopefully, things will calm down soon because I have too many other things going on right now to be dealing with this stuff.

Lee

CrappyColon
Nov 10, 2023 5:57 am

Hi Lee, I think a lot of people have heard of bipolar but maybe don't have the understanding of it that people connected to a person with it or someone who has it themselves do. The main character in Homeland has bipolar—that series wrapped up not too long ago. I have a friend who writes a lot when he's in a manic phase. They are recognizing the brain-gut connection in medical research now. Stress can really cause a domino effect in our bodies. Does a stimulant calm you down or wind you up? Hoping this new medication helps you find relief so your brain can rest and allow the rest of your body more peace as well.

infinitycastle52777
Nov 10, 2023 4:56 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Because I also have ADHD, stimulants tend to actually calm me down. I used to take Ritalin for the longest time, but my current psych person has said as long as I am struggling with sleep issues, she won't prescribe it to me. We have looked at Adderall as something to keep on the back burner. She has me avoiding caffeine right now too. I think the new med is slowly starting to work. But I still can't be still. I am in constant motion and my brain is going about 500 mph in a 60 mph world. No sooner does someone ask me something, I am on to the next subject. Yesterday, I did 9 miles on a bike in the gym, came home, and still couldn't hold still for even 3 minutes. I think I am driving my mom batty because she has asked me several times if I can hold still and I keep telling her actually I can't. But I did sleep for 3 or 4 hours last night. And even though I am still all wiggly and my stomach is in knots, I did manage to go on a 3-mile hike this morning in the woods. It was wonderful to be outside in the sun and with the leaves on the ground and trees all around. The only drawback to it was that my ankle is still healing from a sprain and I managed to drop that ankle in a hole on the trail, which wasn't too comfortable. Still, it was just wonderful to be outside in nature. But I still plan on going to the gym this afternoon to do more exercise. Yesterday, I had 867 calories left over from 1,400 on my calorie counter, which I probably have no business having in the first place, but I do. At least I got to wear my new hat out on the trail. It is nice and warm and comfortable. And it has a ball on the top and ear flaps, so it's cute. Well, I can't type anymore, and you have probably heard enough from me for the time being. So I will end here.

Lee