Trying "Dave's Hot Chicken" with an Ileostomy: Advice Needed

Replies
Views
JVM261
Jan 30, 2024 5:55 pm

Has anyone ever tried “Dave's Hot Chicken” with an ileostomy? I had my procedure done in September, and a new franchise opened near me around the time of September. I've never had it before and I don't have any Crohn's or anything like that; I had a bacterial infection. I'm wondering if I should try it before or after my reversal, which is probably going to come in the next few months. Or should I not try it at all? I know everybody says just try it in small bits. I had a little bit of red onion in some guacamole soon after my surgery, and I thought I was gonna die from the pain upon output, so I don't want to go through that again. But I really want to try this chicken because I never have, and it's on the television. I shouldn't be influenced by commercials, but I am. LOL.

Morning glory
Jan 30, 2024 6:29 pm

If it were me, I would try. What are you afraid of? The spice is my guess. I eat spicy food without it hurting my ileostomy. Let us know the results.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

JVM261
Jan 30, 2024 6:50 pm
Reply to Morning glory

Yes, the spice. I've had no spicy food since the ileostomy, and on occasion when I've had something by mistake, mostly onions, it burns. But I try to avoid spices in general because that's what I was taught, and I was taught that even after the reversal, we should stay away from spices. Maybe I'll go with somebody and take a bite, and if that's all I can handle, I'll just give them the rest. 😁

Morning glory
Jan 30, 2024 6:57 pm
Reply to JVM261

Good idea

AlexT
Jan 30, 2024 7:15 pm

Eat it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Rose Bud 🌹
Jan 30, 2024 8:35 pm
Reply to JVM261

That's exactly what I would do. Try it out before you dive in... Some things I can eat and others have a slight burn to them. Since you haven't had yours long, I would slowly get into new things to give it time to adjust. Plus, everyone's system will react differently!!!

Past Member
Jan 31, 2024 2:01 am

If you don't have GI disease like Crohn's/Colitis that would have prevented you from eating it before ostomy, you are probably safe to have it. The ostomy itself isn't going to prevent you from digesting food. 😉

Mysterious Mose
Jan 31, 2024 7:07 pm

I eat spicy stuff all the time. Frankly, I cannot live without my chili in the winter and I am somewhat generous with the habanero and sambal badjak. 🌶 🔥

Daniel