Bladder Leaks After Ileostomy: Seeking Advice and Solutions

Replies
Views
Marjatta
Apr 22, 2024 2:15 pm

Ever since my ileostomy on Jan 1, 2024, I've been experiencing the embarrassing problem of dribbling from my bladder. As soon as they took the catheter out, I no longer felt the urge to pee but still leaked on a regular basis.

I have recently started doing Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles in case the surgery has affected them. Because the surgeon took out basically all of my insides, I was wondering if that might have changed the position of my bladder in some way.

I know that advancing age can contribute to incontinence (I am almost 67), but I'm not looking forward to a life of Depends underwear, especially since I didn't have this problem before.

I am going to call my surgeon, as well as my ostomy nurse, to get their input. I know it's not a life-threatening issue, but it's sure as hell inconvenient. I already have to worry about ostomy leaks, so one more source of leaks is no fun.

M

xo

Beachboy
Apr 22, 2024 5:46 pm

Hello,

Best bet is consultation with a nurse/doctor.

You might consider a CT scan to ensure everything is OK.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory
Apr 23, 2024 6:11 pm

I never experienced leaks from my bladder after my ileostomy surgery. After you talk to your doctor, let us know what they say. It could be swelling still.