Soreness in My Stoma

Replies
Views
ccordes01
May 02, 2024 12:25 pm

I have had to change my bag because it was too thick. For a while, I had a lot of diarrhea, but it's back to its old self. Is your stoma sore?

Mysterious Mose
May 02, 2024 5:44 pm

Do you use any deodorants in your bag? When I was using them and supplementing with Tic Tac mints, my ileum would be slightly sore. More of an itch-type soreness. Since stopping all deodorants, no more problems.

There really should be no reason to change your bag due to thick output. If you are having trouble getting it out, try adding water. I typically use 150 ml on the initial flush and follow that with another 150 ml to complete the flush and get all those little sniggly bits out. You will hear some people say that using water will loosen your seal. That's an urban myth, in my opinion. I normally get 7-8 days between changes.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tnmontan9721
May 02, 2024 8:44 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

What deodorant were you using?

Mysterious Mose
May 02, 2024 10:34 pm
Reply to tnmontan9721

Both Adapt and Brava lubricating deodorant. They did not cause the irritation, as I kept using them for a while after stopping the mints. I've stopped using anything, as I have adjusted my diet enough to pretty much eliminate the stinky stuff.

gentlejohn
May 03, 2024 10:47 pm

Welcome to the club. I too have an ileostomy. You are in Kansas City. You need to be seen by an enterostomal therapist and develop a routine. Personally, I made a checklist so I would not forget something. Enterostomal therapists are available through Visiting Nurses and St. Luke's Home Health in your own home plus other services. Also, there are stoma clinics at Menorah, KU, University Health, and in the Northland. I highly recommend the clinic at University Health. I know the nurse. Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister