Tips for Improving Ileostomy Bag Adhesion on Weeping Skin

Replies
Views
918ostomate
May 08, 2024 4:30 pm

I'm having poor bag adhesion due to weeping skin… Does anyone have any tips or products they can recommend? I've only had my ileostomy for about 5 weeks and my ostomy nurse is on vacation. I've tried crusting but with no success, so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the situation.

eefyjig
May 08, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi 918ostomate, is the skin around your stoma flat or uneven? Have you tried a barrier ring? They're great at sealing grooves in uneven skin surfaces. A convex wafer on the bag can help prevent leaks, too. At five weeks, your stoma has probably shrunk in size, so the size of the hole on your bag should be reflecting that and measuring smaller. All of these things can help prevent leakage and weepy skin. To treat your skin now and allow it to heal, try the crusting technique: dab a moist skin prep pad on the irritated area, sprinkle some stoma powder, dab again with the pad, let it dry fully, then apply your ring and bag. Do this every time you change your bag until your skin improves and don't wait too long to change it. I hope this all helps. Hang in there, you'll fix it!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gentlejohn
May 08, 2024 10:51 pm

Is there another ostomy nurse available? It is hard to make suggestions without seeing your anatomy and your technique. Sometimes after you have cleaned with only water, ostomy paste can be used and you do not have to be that precise.

Axl
May 09, 2024 9:39 am

Hello

Get some of this, practice on the back of your hand first, less is more, dries in seconds.

3M Cavilon No-Sting Barrier Film, gentler way to protect skin from body fluids, adhesives, and friction, alcohol-free barrier film, hypoallergenic and latex-free, 28 ml pump spray https://a.co/d/8az8Xr4

You don't say if you are using moldable seals between your skin and the appliance. Get some, many brands available.

DebinRI
May 09, 2024 9:46 am

Hi 918ostomate.

I remember when I was only a couple of months out. Your abdomen must be uneven still. That takes months to come down. Are you using a Hollister one-piece pouch with the barrier ring? These adhere to the skin like a suction cup. If the outer wafer becomes loose, you can use adhesive strips. Also, if you are using any lotions underneath the bag for irritated skin, this will loosen the wafer. Clean your skin when changing your bag with a wet washcloth all over the area, making sure the old adhesive is removed. Dry your skin and then apply a new bag. Please let me know how you are doing. Your home nursing should have another nurse filling in for your absent nurse. You should not be left out of the loop this early into your ostomy surgery. Deb.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DebinRI
May 09, 2024 9:54 am
Reply to eefyjig

I found that over time my stoma grew a bit larger. I totally agree with your bag sizing around your stoma. Most products, like Hollister, have a measuring implement in your box of pouches. Make sure that the opening in your bag is not too large or too tight fitting. My ostomy nurse was my best friend in the months following my surgery. You should be getting another nurse filling in at this point. Please call your nursing company. Best wishes, Deb.

Beth22
May 11, 2024 1:22 pm

Hi there. A couple of things: the crusted method as mentioned above to try, also they have something called Marathon, it's a liquid skin protectant, and also 3M Advanced Skin Protectant, both without a better seal over the skin and protect against output, and it doesn't interfere with bag adhesion. They can be quite expensive though; there are some places you can just buy one instead of a whole box. Is your stoma flush or does it protrude? Also, how big are you cutting your wafer? If you're leaving a gap, you will constantly leak and the skin will be eaten away.

mtaylor9361
May 11, 2024 5:02 pm

Would want to know if you're bathing or showering with your appliance on. If so, don't. Can't stress enough the importance of keeping your peristomal area dry and clean. Weeping can produce skin perforations and bleeding, which can make you susceptible to infection. Then you have a real problem. Suggest you shower without the appliance, clean the skin, and use a stomahesive powder to dry the skin prior to putting on the appliance. Use a belt if necessary until it subsides. If there is any bleeding, dab it with anti-bacterial ointment and use a calcium alginate dressing. If real serious, consult a stoma nurse. They are the most knowledgeable.