Exercise with an Ostomy: What Shouldn't I Do?

Replies
Views
J.J.
Aug 27, 2012 5:59 am
Hi!!
Hope everyone is doing great!! With summer winding down =( and the kiddos getting ready to go back to school... I am thinking about getting into better shape... so... Can we do an Insanity workout or I guess my question is with an ostomy, what shouldn't you be doing? I use my treadmill but don't want to do something that could cause any kind of damage!... Any advice??

Thanks,
J.J.
Past Member
Aug 27, 2012 7:57 am

Hi J.J, there's nothing we can't do with an ostomy, just take it easy at first and see how you feel. I workout 2 hours most days, and do abdominal exercises like sit-ups, etc. without any problems. The most important thing is don't do too much too soon and find something you enjoy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,890 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Green Eyed Lady
Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi, I'm personally unable to do strenuous exercises due to multiple hernias cropping up around my ostomy...but, I do have an in-ground pool where I do weightless exercises when the weather permits. This lets me do leg lifts/crunches in the deep end of the pool and I feel much better for it! But, whatever works for you is great! Take care!!

Past Member
Aug 30, 2012 4:36 pm
Way to go panther its good to excersise, within your own limits.So JJ go and try a few things you may suprise yourself how much you can achieve.. Good luck..tc ambies..
PamTX
Aug 31, 2012 12:58 am

Try various things and see how they feel! I run 3 miles about 3 times a week and have also done some women's boot camps - it feels great to exercise and no different than before my ileostomy. Just remember to drink lots of water!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dee05
Aug 31, 2012 1:04 am
Hi there
After my surgery, I was anxious to get back into shape and I love these DVDs by Leslie Sansone, "Walk Yourself Thin". She has many DVDs out and with almost all comes with a kit, ex. "Punch Up Your Walk", which features up to a 4-mile walk and includes one pair of adjustable weighted gloves. The DVD is available for $15 at Walmart... What I like about her DVDs is that you use every muscle and can do as many miles as you feel up to. Anyhow, I love these and you can do it in the comfort of your home, and trust me, you don't feel like you've exercised.. worth a try
Good luck

FUN EASY WORKOUT
vanessavy
Aug 31, 2012 3:24 am

I have a continent ileostomy but it's still a stoma so I will comment. I do CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting. I row more than run since I just hate running but do it now and then if I am traveling and have no access to a gym, etc. I have one hiatus hernia and one abdominal hernia, but it doesn't bother me so I keep doing what I am doing.

J.J.
Aug 31, 2012 3:45 am

Wow!!!
Good for all of you guys!! =)..Thanks for the advice..Can't wait to get started!!! =) You all have inspired me to go for it!! =)