Ileostomy: Brown Mucus from Rectum After Surgery

Replies
Views
DiverticWilos
May 25, 2023 3:50 pm

So the mucus that comes out of my rectum has changed colors. It was clear, then about a month and a half after surgery, it changed to bloody and now it's brown. Is this normal or something I should be concerned with? Also, I think the bloody mucus has something to do with the fistula that's formed. I've got a fistula from my colon to my rectum.

Mysterious Mose
May 25, 2023 4:58 pm

I am 5 months from my colectomy, and my experience with rectal discharge is similar. The color changes from red to brown and back to red. For the first 4 months, I also had a JP drain that drained fluid from my pancreas. This also regularly changed color. My surgeon really had no explanation why it does that. I haven't recently discussed the rectal discharge with him, but your experience sounds similar to mine. I have an upcoming appointment with my surgeon and am planning on discussing this subject. I have thought that maybe my 3 substantial hemorrhoids have something to do with this. In my prior life of normal bowel movements, I had issues with bleeding hemorrhoids and planned on having them removed before my adventure with C. difficile altered my life plans. I have an upcoming appointment with my surgeon and am going to discuss this issue.

I don't have any answers for you other than to say my experience is similar, but different, as I have no colon and no fistulas of which I am aware. I have no explanation other than to say this should be discussed with your surgeon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,852 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomate & woundr
May 25, 2023 10:15 pm

Hey guys, surprisingly this came up recently in my volunteer practice here in Central Texas. I meant to create a post about it but got sidetracked by life (I fell and broke six ribs in the back).

Anyhow, let me explain for those of you who have a rectal stump, in other words, any part of your colon that connects with an anus that still has an opening. I'm going to put the majority of this post in a separate discussion.

Should I get to say yes, you are normal, nothing about it is abnormal, and I will explain in my post.

DiverticWilos
Jun 07, 2023 5:37 pm
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

One more question, is it supposed to smell so horrid? It smells way worse than the poop out of my ostomy.