Swallowing Gum After Multiple Abdominal Surgeries: What Happens?

Replies
Views
CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 2:09 am

So... what happens when you swallow gum and your colon is gone and you've had lots of abdominal surgeries (scars)? Asking for a friend 😉

I actually looked through this site and tried the ostoAI thing... there has to have been someone who swallowed gum before yeesh. 

Axl
Nov 24, 2023 2:23 am

Go on, do it, then we will know... 🤣

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,852 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 2:47 am
Reply to Axl

My friend will have to let y'all know. 🤣🤣

Ben38
Nov 24, 2023 7:36 am

I have done it many times and swallowed worse. Lol, no problems. Lol.

CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 7:40 am
Reply to Ben38

Phew. Should've known I could count on you to have tried it 😁

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
IGGIE
Nov 24, 2023 12:15 pm

I only swallowed gum once, and my stoma blew a large bubble and popped, waking up all the kangaroos and koalas.

CrappyColon
Nov 24, 2023 3:28 pm
Reply to IGGIE

You know, I wish this story were true since you mentioned kangaroos and koalas. 😁

Ben38
Nov 24, 2023 7:55 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

I'm old, decrepit. I've tried most things once, lol.

IGGIE
Nov 25, 2023 6:31 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Of course it was true. Would I lie to you? 😉 Regards, Iggie

Daisy2023
Nov 25, 2023 3:34 pm

Once I did when I was a kid. My first time around with an ostomy LOL. It just didn't digest or anything. It was fine haha and I can't believe I shared that. Hahaha

eefyjig
Nov 25, 2023 4:55 pm

Jodie, how are you - oh, I mean how is your friend 😉 - post gum-swallowing?

CrappyColon
Nov 25, 2023 5:15 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Lori, hahahaha 😉 Puke-tastic at the moment, but it's hard to know if that's to blame between Thanksgiving foods and also my kids both being down with the latest plague from school. Time or something will tell, I guess?? 😁

ahynes111
Nov 25, 2023 8:43 pm

Ha! I remembered when I was recovering from surgery day one and we were supposed to chew gum to move things along... and I accidentally swallowed my gum. I wasn't frantic, but I told a nurse right away. She said, "That is fine."

CrappyColon
Nov 25, 2023 10:48 pm

Lori, I did end up talking to a nurse friend with an ostomy because I'm down to just drinking lemonade at the moment, and she said even with a colon, it doesn't digest well. She said it may hang out for a while, but be prepared for something possibly funky and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate 😁

Axl
Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Alright Jodie, you wouldn't do it so I did, swallowed my gum at 11 a.m. yesterday. Completely forgot about it until just now 24 hrs later... I've got no idea where it went 🤣😂🤣

CrappyColon
Nov 25, 2023 11:03 pm
Reply to Axl

Thanks for taking one for the team there 😆 Let me know if you happen to come across it 😉