Experiences with Hernia Surgery Post-Colostomy: Pros, Cons, and Recovery

Replies
Views
lyndaj
Jan 12, 2024 3:39 am

I had colostomy surgery in April 2021. The surgeon requested an appointment with the General Surgery Dept. - Hernia Clinic in September of that year. However, due to COVID, I have just recently had sessions with the surgeon. My hernia surrounds the stoma and is about the size of a grapefruit and has just recently spread to the side of my body. Before I make a decision regarding major hernia surgery, I would like some feedback from those who have had this surgery - the pros and cons, the recovery period, etc. Thank you.

IGGIE
Jan 12, 2024 2:40 pm

G'day, don't even think of a delay, get the surgery as soon as you can. Regards, Iggie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,854 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob
Jan 12, 2024 6:55 pm

What Iggie said. You're playing with fire... and it's spreading!

;O)

Hisbiscus
Feb 24, 2024 11:49 am

This is a little late reply, but I had 2 parastomal hernias. One from my old temp ileostomy and one at my new end ileostomy along with an umbilical hernia. I had all 3 fixed by Cleveland Clinic General Surgery (hernia dept). They did mesh, and I was even in their study for parastomal hernia repair. The operation went very smoothly. I got up walking the first day and walked those halls to no end to avoid any ileus or healing delay. I was back to work at a sit-down job within 4 weeks. My repairs are holding up, and it's been a little over 2 years now. My suggestion is even long after surgery, do not lift anything over 25 lbs or whatever they tell you, or you're going to blow it if you keep lifting over that. It's tempting for us to want to lift to hurry up and get things done, but don't do it. Get help or go back and forth with those grocery bags, etc. Baby yourself and enjoy the hernias being gone with a new flat tummy.