Formaldehyde in Ostomy Deodorants: Safety Concerns and Alternatives

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
Mar 12, 2024 2:04 pm

I've noticed some ostomy deodorants have DMDM hydantoin in them, which is a formaldehyde releaser. They put it in there to kill bacteria, but how safe could this be so close to a stoma and if you're a rinser? I think M9, in my experience, has been the safest and most effective.

I found one shampoo I was using had this in it as well and had class action lawsuits over it. Of course, I ditched it.

These days, we have to watch everything in our products. Like all of our products.

AlexT
Mar 12, 2024 5:12 pm

Do you read and investigate all the ingredients in everything you use?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Mar 12, 2024 6:24 pm
Reply to AlexT

No, I do not unless I start having an issue. I go back to what I was using differently and try to figure out what may have been the problem. That is how I ran across this finding. Eye-opening, to say the least.

Nothing wrong with learning, eh?

CrappyColon
Mar 13, 2024 3:44 am

Another life ago when I was in nursing school (I'm not a nurse so no one ask for medical advice), every specimen we studied that had been part of a person/thing was stored in formaldehyde. What was stored in a freezer was still covered in it. My eyes watered so much I started wearing glasses and taking Benadryl on lab days.

Hisbiscus
Mar 13, 2024 10:37 am
Reply to CrappyColon

I believe it. It's strong stuff. Nothing I want near my stoma.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister