Rectovaginal Fistula After Colostomy Reversal: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
07summer13
Mar 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Hi, I had a colostomy for 5 years after an episode with c. Sorry, still can't write the word. I developed a parastomal hernia last year which grew to a good size and caused all sorts of problems. So I had a reversal 3 months ago, the operation went well but 4 days after being discharged I developed a rectovaginal fistula. This is the most awful thing and I'm now regretting the reversal. I'm due to have this repaired soon. Has anyone else had dealings with these things? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙂

Jayne
Mar 30, 2024 1:14 am

Hello 07Summer13

Are you aware of Clare's site? She is from Nottingham, UK, and may be able to share stuff that will resonate and has experience of related situations to your own:

Nine-year stomaversary – TOMAS THE STOMA

Hope this may be of help

BW

Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,855 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler
Mar 30, 2024 4:18 pm

I had successful colon resectioning and later developed two enterocutaneous fistulas. The hope was that the smaller one would dry up and the larger one would shrink enough to be clipped. While waiting, I developed gastrointestinal hemorrhaging. I had to have the fistulas surgically removed along with abscesses. This is how I got my colostomy. I am now eating and feeling better than I have felt in years. Fistulas can be quite disgusting. Embrace the surgery for you will be thankful afterwards.