LARS Symptoms Post-Ileostomy Reversal: Seeking Advice and Experiences

Replies
Views
amymariefred
Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm

I hate that I can't search without a premium membership, so sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm 6 weeks post-op ileostomy reversal, no chemo or radiation. I found out recently from my surgeon I only have 5 cm of my rectum remaining. Surprise to me! Anyway, does the severity/frequency of LARS symptoms depend on how much rectum remains? I'm no longer incontinent but have urgency, frequent trips to the toilet, and long sits sometimes (feels like more needs to come out but it doesn't). I get hemorrhoids sometimes and have tried witch hazel and zinc ointment.

My main concern is going back to work in 2 weeks. I don't have a nearby restroom for urgency. I'm a teacher and nervous. I made the mistake of going on a LARS Facebook group, and it seems a lot of people are suffering more than me, and now I had to leave the group because it made me more fearful. Do these symptoms stay with you forever? Does it get better? What are your experiences?

Thanks so much, Amy

Beachboy
Apr 27, 2024 4:11 am

Sorry to read about your bowel trouble.

It does take time for your body to adjust and recover from surgery. At 6 weeks, you're still in the healing stage. Have you had a rectal competence test? If not, you might consider it.

Hate to say the word... Depends. But with restrooms at work far away, you might have to resort to that until your bowel slowly returns to normal function.

Please continue to post your progress. It will help many Ostomates.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,853 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB
Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

Hey there. I don't have a premium membership either, so I understand. I am also sorry to hear you are having these issues, but like Beach Boy said, it's still very early. I had a reversal, but I had a colostomy, not sure how different it is from ileostomy reversal, and I've never heard of LARS until your post… but I understand what you are saying as my surgeon said I could have those issues—maybe he just didn't put a name to it. I read up on it a bit, and I read that things go best when there is at least 4 cm of rectum, and that symptoms can last for some months but can get better, so don't lose hope.

As for the bathroom, I got a note from my surgeon that when I had to go, I had to go… I know that won't work in every situation, so is there a way you can extend your leave for a bit longer until you are more comfortable? Or maybe you can have a classroom assistant for a while, so you can leave the classroom when urgently needed? I too have had hemorrhoids flare, and I think it's due to my fiber increase. I wasn't eating much fiber before reversal for fear of blockage. That and my recent colonoscopy seemed to flare me up. Like you, I've used Prep H and Desitin, but Tucks works better for me. A sitz bath and Prep H suppositories work the best for me, but check with your doc before using those since you are just out of surgery. Mine are better now.

You will hear a lot of horror stories online. I would advise against it right now and have your care team answer your questions. With time, I have faith your situation will improve. I'll be praying for you!

CrappyColon
Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Hey Amy, I did a quick search and didn't find much that was specifically helpful to your LAR question. There was someone who explained it well sometime last year… I'll see if I can find it a different way.

amymariefred
Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you! I guess I will keep my pack from the big box store instead of donating them. LOL.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
MBT
May 04, 2024 5:19 pm

Pelvic floor therapists or certified continence nurses can help with retraining your body after reversal and/or managing LARS. You might check to see what services are available to you.

amymariefred
May 04, 2024 11:53 pm
Reply to DexieB

Thank you. I have accommodations for restroom use, and I have classroom aides. I was just worried about urgency. The online group I found for LARS support scared me, and I left after 2 days. Lol.