Insurance Help Needed for Brava 4x4 Protection Sheets and Rings

Replies
Views
Meri ostomate
Apr 29, 2024 10:04 pm

I'm having a really hard time getting insurance to cover my Brava 4x4 protection sheets and my rings. Is there anyone willing to help me out with these, please? I can't afford to buy them outright, and my bag won't stay without them again.

Brava 4x4 protection sheets

Moldable ring and protective seals.

I also use Duoderm CFG dressing if anyone has any to spare. Hopefully, I will hear something back from disability soon. My lawyer says they are gonna give it to me, just dragging it out as long as they can. This is ridiculous; I can't afford this.

aTraveler
Apr 29, 2024 10:30 pm

All the major manufacturers sell protection sheets and moldable rings. 4x4 Protective Sheets:

Coloplast's Brava Protective Sheet: Ref# 32105

ConvaTec's Stomahesive Skin Barrier Ref# 021712

Hollister CeraPlus Skin Barrier Ref# 8900

Moldable Rings:

Coloplast's Brava Protective Seal Ref# 12035

ConvaTec's Eakin Cohesive Slims Ref# 839095

Hollister's Adapt Barrier Rings Ref# 7815

See if your insurance company covers any of the other brands. It will be surprising if your insurance does not cover any of these. Also, you can request free samples if you have not sampled previously.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kas
Apr 30, 2024 12:38 am

I just sent you a big box at the start of the month with all of that in there and then some, including cash (my bad) so you could get what you needed. There were donations from another member in that box too. Since I never heard from you to verify the package arrived, I'll assume that the USPS tracking was correct and that it did. Anyway, there is no way you can be out of all of the supplies I sent, so what is up with this?

AlexT
Apr 30, 2024 3:54 am
Reply to Kas

Can't wait for the reply…

Β 

Β 

Caz67
Apr 30, 2024 6:55 am
Reply to Kas

Do we smell a rat?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Kas
Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm
Reply to AlexT

Hey Alex,

Just so you know, this is not the same gal that you sent help to the other day.

Meri ostomate
Apr 30, 2024 12:57 pm
Reply to Kas

I did receive your package. Thank you so much. This is all the access program doesn't supply. I have bags, just need seals and rings and 4x4. I have a few left that you sent but can't run out as I need them to help protect my skin. I did get my meds filled and bought Miralax and Metamucil. I am having issues with constipation and pancaking, so I've gone through quite a bit. It gets under and pushes the pouch off. If you have any suggestions to help, I am listening. I'm at my wits' end with this colostomy and it's so very frustrating. It's like I get it figured out, then something else happens. Just trying to get this down so I can pull myself out of the funk.

ron in mich
Apr 30, 2024 1:02 pm

Hi Merostomate, have you tried irrigation? You might not need the supplies. Talk to an ostomy nurse to help figure it out. Also, there are videos on YouTube.

warrior
Apr 30, 2024 1:44 pm
Reply to Kas

Hey Kas, have you two been doing this on the side? Or just recently a one-time gift giving?

I think it's so very sweet helping others out like that with supplies.

Waves to Alex..πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ totally righteous! You guys rock.

Kas
Apr 30, 2024 2:22 pm
Reply to warrior

I've been doing it on the side, locally in the general area where I live and on this site a few times.

I'm a Nurse Practitioner and my ostomate patients have also been donating their unneeded supplies to me so that I can get them to folks who need some help. Keeps good supplies out of the trash and into the hands of people who could use the help.

Kim

warrior
Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm
Reply to Kas

...Awesome... Angels do roam the Earth. πŸ‘

aTraveler
Apr 30, 2024 3:50 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Irrigation is only an option if your stoma is connected to the descending colon or sigmoid colon. Irrigation is purposed for firmer stool. I am not a candidate for irrigation since my stoma is connected to my transverse colon.

DexieB
Apr 30, 2024 4:46 pm
Reply to Kas

That is so sweet. I wish I had known when I had my reversal, I had a ton of supplies and would have met up with you... my next door neighbor took them (he and his son both have ostomies due to colon cancer), because at the time I couldn't donate them anywhere! Thank you for helping those in need.

AlexT
Apr 30, 2024 5:28 pm
Reply to Kas

I know, she thanked me.

aTraveler
Apr 30, 2024 6:52 pm
Reply to Meri ostomate

Foods that provide relief from constipation: coffee, warm/hot cooked fruits, cooked vegetables, fresh fruits, water, mild laxative

Pancaking usually occurs when there is no air in the pouch. If you have a pouch with a filter, then cover the filter with one of the little stick-ons that is provided in the pouch box. Eat something gassy to get air in the pouch. The quantity of air bubbles ingested considerably increases if you talk while eating food. Habits such as smoking, sucking on candies, sipping drinks through a straw, chewing gum, and gulping drinks increase the amount of gas entering the ostomy pouch.

Andrew82
Apr 30, 2024 11:37 pm
Reply to Kas

That's amazing of you. I may have a small box of supplies I don't really need. I'll check, but I'd be happy to get them to you for the people you help.

Meri ostomate
May 01, 2024 12:07 am
Reply to aTraveler

Thanks, love

AlexT
May 01, 2024 1:15 am
Reply to warrior

That's the second time I've sent supplies to members. Kas posted about helping someone on here, and I sent her a message and said I could send some stuff. I let her be the middle person to find out who I needed to send them to. She then sends them on, or she gets me the address of the person, and I send them directly. I didn't know who she was helping, and it didn't matter to me as long as they could use what I have. The person was comfortable with giving out her address, so I sent them directly. I'm pretty blunt on here and in real life, but I do have compassion for others, or at least most 😁, and having to struggle for medical supplies in this country is just plain ridiculous IMO.

Hisbiscus
May 01, 2024 1:24 am
Reply to Kas

That is wonderful!

Caz67
May 01, 2024 8:24 am
Reply to AlexT

I knew you had a soft side, Alex 😜 lol πŸ˜‚ xx

warrior
May 01, 2024 8:30 am
Reply to AlexT

That is awesome, man.

Exactly what a community does. Help people out.

Being neighborly...

Kas
May 01, 2024 10:23 am
Reply to warrior

I'm really just the middleman who gets stuff where it needs to go. And there have been a lot of amazing people who have helped me to do that!

Kas
May 01, 2024 10:36 am
Reply to Andrew82

Thank you!

If you ever find you have stuff you don't use, I'd be happy to take it. You can PM me for my address. Otherwise, just keep an eye open on this site as we periodically have folks on here that need help.

Andrew82
May 01, 2024 7:12 pm
Reply to Kas

Sounds good. I'm in the middle of going through the house post-divorce, so I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Kas
May 01, 2024 9:42 pm
Reply to Andrew82

Ugh, I know what that's like. Sorry you're going through that.

Take care,

Kim

Meri ostomate
May 02, 2024 12:06 am
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, hun. I don't take anything personally, and it's a shame that we can't get the supplies we need but are the land of the free. I appreciate the compassion and sarcasm. I'm the same way sometimes but have the biggest heart and will help anyone I can.

IGGIE
May 02, 2024 4:00 pm

This site and the people in it should all get a gold medal. Kas, you're a first-class wonderful lady. Regards, IGGIE

Bob 48
May 03, 2024 3:19 am

Metamucil could possibly be making your constipation worse. I have an ileostomy, and it helps thicken my output.

Meri ostomate
May 03, 2024 11:05 pm
Reply to Bob 48

I tried telling that to my doctor, but he insisted I take it daily. I've been off it for a week now and am still constipated. I need some relief.

Kas
May 04, 2024 10:52 am
Reply to Meri ostomate

Meri,

Try apricot nectar, it works for me every single time!