Bowel Movements After Colostomy: Is It Normal?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
hawk

I had a colostomy done last September, but in the last week, I have been having bowel movements through the rectum. Being new to that, I am wondering if this sometimes happens?

Thanks, Hawk

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I don't believe that is normal. A little mucus-like discharge is normal if the rectum wasn't removed, but no stool should be present. I would seek professional advice on this one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Diceman

After my surgery colostomy, the doctor told me that at times there would be some discharge and at other times it would be light brown for a while, then it would be somewhat clear. This stuff is what makes your poop come out easily, your rectum normally has the body's lube for your poop the old way. Your body still makes it and it comes out at times. I get this maybe every other week for a day or two. I checked with the doctor and they say it is okay.

eddie

If you had surgery and could not be prepped (laxatives to clean out bowel) before surgery, you can pass stool. I had a patient that passed barium several years after his colostomy.

Eddie

hawk

Thanks for the input, today. I went to the emergency room where I had the surgery and by luck, the surgeon that performed the colostomy advised that the procedure was labeled wrong, and I had received a colostomy loop which bowel movements were okay. This made me a candidate for a reversal in the future. But only time will tell. Hawk

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I've recently been having the same thing happen to me. I have a loop colostomy. I thought there was something wrong, so I contacted a stoma nurse, but in fact, it's perfectly fine. It does sometimes happen, and as long as there's no blood or pain, it's nothing to worry about.