New Flushable Liners for Colostomy Bags: Improved Convenience & Cost Reduction

In this discussion
Replies
Views
brox

Hey everyone,

I'm posting because my nephew has been diagnosed with a severe case of Crohn's. He's only 14 but looks like he's 11. Underweight, smaller than his little brother, can't play football or wrestle anymore. Terrible. However, the good news is they were able to find and remove a stricture and started him on meds. He's starting to respond so fingers crossed. I work with a colorectal surgeon in NJ and we discussed his case. My sister is worried about the future and possible colostomy surgery.

My surgeon told me about challenges that patients have with colostomies and I have a concept that I think could help patients. However, I'd like to get your opinions before I sink a ton of money into getting it made.

Here's the idea: A standard wafer with the standard flange connection for a 2-piece system. The bag has a large opening at the top, allowing a hand to access the bag. Why? Good question. I've come up with a way to have flushable liners that come in a pack of 3-5 and can be reloaded. In other words, the pouch has 3-5 preloaded liners that you use and flush throughout the day. The next day, you can add another pack of liners to the same pouch and so on until the pouch wears out. This design would allow for either a one piece or two piece because you access the top. I see there are liners out there, but it looks like you have to load them as you use them. I think my design would be faster than...well, anything out there (I think), provides the additional layer of protection due to a liner and the pouch, and could reduce costs because patients might be able to use only 1 bag a week.

Anyone interested in giving me some feedback? I've looked at the current products available and it bothers me that everything looks the same over the last 30 or 40 years. My surgeon tells me that all the products are essentially the same and he feels like his patients have enough to deal with, and deserve better. Anyway, I'd be very grateful for feedback. Thanks in advance.

Alan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Alan, glad to see that someone is thinking about new products. The idea sounds a bit complicated to me, however, I can't envision how you would keep everything from leaking on everything else. If you got that worked out, and I'm sure you don't want to give away your idea...it just might work. Today's ostomy supplies are quite good compared to what I started out with 15 years ago. Good luck and keep those ideas coming.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi Alan, great idea! I am so glad that new ideas are being presented. I have to agree with MMSH...what about the leaks, especially with those of us who have ileostomies? Our output is more liquid. I would like to change my pouch several times a day but sadly my insurance only allows for one drainable pouch change per day. If I used the closed end pouches they would allow for 2-3 but I really need 5. Back to the drainable.

I wish someone would develop a new design for the pouch - new colors and prints. Make this thing a bit less medical and more appealing. Can an ostomy pouch be a fashion statement? I would like it to be. Anyway, good luck with your invention. Just keep in mind the leaks as leaks are one of our biggest challenges. Take care and I look forward to seeing something on the market soon. LH

brox

Great feedback!

So, I'm using the same tried and true closures I've seen (roll down with Velcro). That way I'm not reinventing the wheel. The flushable bag my doc tested held 2 cups of water for a couple of hours when suspended and over 8 hours when he put it inside a regular pouch.

As for a complicated system, it may be. The difference is, the patient opens the top, pulls out the dirty liner, and flushes it. The next liner in the pack flips up into position, and the bag is closed. Maybe it's better for a younger demographic?

Design-wise, that could be great!

The big thing for something new like this is cost. It would have to be cash, I guess, until it gets approved for insurances. I see systems for sale for $2-3 each. This might be like the Cadillac of poop bags! :) Thoughts on cost?

LadyHope

Hi Brox, yes, I agree, 2-3 dollars per bag is expensive especially for those of us who need several per day. The concept is good but I am unsure of the cost. I still wish that I could have 150 closed end pouches per month so I would always have a clean pouch to start. If insurance covers the cost or at least a portion of your product, it may work well as it would be more marketable. Those who have no budget could easily purchase it cash and carry. Good luck to you. LH

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Allan. Thanks for the post. It's good to see that people are thinking about things and inventing new stuff.  Your idea sounds feasible to me but then I no longer use bags as I irrigate.  When inventing things for myself I have often thought that they almost need to be tailor-made to the individual as they need so many minor adjustments to make them work of fit comfortably. looking at the posts on this site confirms my view that one product is unlikely to suit everybody. There needs to be more choice so that people can find something that best suits themselves. In this sense your idea seems to be ideal  and I wish you well. Best wishes Bill. 

ron in mich

Hi Alan, I think one of the companies has a flushable liner for pouches. I think they were for people with colostomies, not ileos like I have, so I never followed up on them. I think I read about them on the uoaa.org site.

Pinky

I like your idea, Alan. I've used the Colo-Majic liners, and the problem with them is that since they fold over the outside of the pouch, they break the seal, so to speak, and can allow odor to escape. At least with my Hollister products (I didn't have the problem with Convatec, but stopped using that manufacturer because their adhesive is so difficult to get off my skin). So, a liner that is internal would be a big improvement. Guess you will have to make some prototypes to see how they work.

I bet the best place to start is with the new Convatec "accordion" flange system - I can see that having enough internal space for several of your internal liners. Pinky

Ewesful

Such wonderful feedback -- I am now a user of the Sensura Meo bags and there was a huge improvement for me -- you might look at some of their improvements -- they were designed by users -- my issue is the adhesive and very sensitive skin as well as the flexible attachment.

I think the ideas you are working with have a lot of potential -- having an ileostomy with several leakage issues until this bag, I would welcome such an idea as you have suggested -- please keep us all in the loop!!

AND far more important - be sure the nephew gets a chance at this site and all the support he needs ;- I have FAP and not Crohn's but have friends who have suffered way too long to avoid the bag and that is really so much less hassle and easier to live with than the pain.

funnygurl

I welcome more innovation in ostomy products. It sounds like a good idea to me. I also want better filters that don't fail as soon as they get wet and flanges that conform to the body better. I agree with the surgeon. Ostomy products have a lot of improving to do. I think it is the lack of competition and relatively low number of customers that is impeding more progress.

beyondpar

Alan, I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but let me just say it's been my experience, approximately 24 years of suffering and almost 10 permanent ostomate, that surgeons know nothing about our supplies...NOTHING in capital letters. Let me tell you that supplies have been improved tremendously over the last 40 years. In my support group, I have people in their 70s who swear by the rubber ring and belt (no adhesive) system, and younger ones like myself use a moldable wafer and two-piece system that will last weeks with not a hint of smell. So you see, there has been tremendous improvement over the last 50 years. If I want to make a suggestion, it's not so much about the ostomy appliance, rather how great the quality of life can be once you become an ostomate.

beyondpar

I wanted to add some more to my previous post as now I'm in my office and rested and didn't want to be all negative as my previous post might have sounded.....My experience, having been in the medical revolving door most of my life, has led to my beliefs, and I'm all about patient advocacy and empowerment...It's obvious I have some strong feelings about doctors, but I also like to think I'm not unreasonable and won't listen to anything from anybody that could work to improve our lives.. But I gotta tell you and this is at the CRUX of the whole matter being discussed....For 20 odd years, the bag surgery was always the last option as if there were so many better options in front of the bag surgery, implying they really don't want to do the bag surgery if they can avoid it....As if that were the overriding factor..........The overriding factor for all of us is QUALITY OF LIFE and most who are sick in the Crohn's space and UC space have terrible if not a problematic quality of life, so why is it not thought of more praisingly, the bag.........It's the Stigma, it still lives in many, and if they, the doctors would listen to so many of us who have survived the chronic illness and who now have bags and who now rock a great quality of life, they might understand..

.As far as flushing the bag out, I have a two-piece and always back flush after each empty, and my bag is always clean in between empties. As far as your nephew, Alan, if he will become a colostomate, he will be able to irrigate in the mornings, and just wear a band-aid to cover his stoma as he will not have any output for upwards of 12-24 hours. There is so much to know, and yes I can appreciate your concern for what lies ahead for your nephew, just support him in the journey, and be supportive as to the many people who can relate and share with him if he needs to reach out to others in the same boat.

Last but not least, I hope you are not offended by my response, but there is so much to learn and know from our perspective and first and foremost is it's not as bad as NON Ostomates think. As a matter of fact, I love my ostomy and my quality of life is off the charts great. So I want to end this with thanks for wanting to improve something in the ostomy world, but in truth; there are already drainable pouches, and many ways in which we drain and clean our pouches already....Michael

iMacG5

Hey Alan, I'm replying to your post because you're from Trenton and Trenton Makes, the World Takes is displayed  on the bridge to Morrisville and it was a fact of American business and never contested.  I'm from Trenton and worked with manufacturers like Youngs Rubber, Goodall, Acme-Hamilton, Kaylex and a couple others.  As a result of some of the research and development done by these companies we have products satisfying our needs as ostomates.  Only Youngs (condoms) was in the medical business but these others were very involved in rubber and plastics for personal comfort and protection.  Remembering that "Necessity is the mother of invention", I'm getting the impression most ostomates can find equipment that satisfies their needs.  Please don't let this comment discourage you from continuing your efforts.  I'm not a proponent of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  If we adopted that phylosophy we would still be living in caves.  I believe almost anything can be improved and I applaud your efforts.

Now, Michael, you hit on a topic that should be looked at way more closely.  The quality of life for many, if not most, ostomates is so much better than it was while suffering with crohns, UC, IBS, CR cancer, etc.  Unfortunately we were led to believe that a stoma would be the absolute last resort as though it would be the end of any quality we could hope for.  When I was told I might need an ostomy I immediately said that was not an option.  Like most of the rest of the human race I was misinformed as to what the whole process was about.  I was not educated and, now that I am an ostomate, it's like "what's the big deal?"  I don't irrigate as Alan's nephew might be able to and I flush my pouch like you do. It's all good in comparison.

Respectfully,

Mike 

beyondpar

Well said Michael, and I couldn't agree more. The bag is nothing compared to fighting a chronic illness... It has improved my quality of life beyond measure... Thx for your input.