Colostomy bag ballooning: Seeking advice and solutions

Replies
Views
myron

I would like to know if anyone has problems with ballooning of the colostomy bag and if so, could you please email me and tell me about your problems and if you have a cure for it? Thanks

Myron

xnine

Yes, it is when the filter plugs. I have used tape to shield the filter with some success. Another poster said he used glue to make a dam. I like to wear a bandeau which causes some mushrooming and my filter problems. Right now I am trying plastic wrap with better results. I use a Hollister two-piece. I am going to do a YouTube video on it sometime.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ycats

I have a two-piece system, so I just crack it to let air out...

Past Member

Ah yes, the Zeppelin effect. I wake up at night occasionally with the same annoyance.

Just find a discreet location, and follow ycats' suggestion.

Hollister makes a pouch with a carbon filter, to naturally vent the gas from the pouch.

It has been my experience that the filter becomes contaminated with waste and doesn't always function as designed.

I have gone back to the regular pouches and occasionally vent them as ycats has described.

Regards, scootertrash

Ozzwood

I wear a two-piece with a filter and sometimes I just have to crack it like the others to let the air out. Usually, it only happens at night, though. I also wear the Colomajic liners, and I love them. They help with keeping the filter clean.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
StayingStrong

Two pieces will do the trick. Or if you have a one piece, just go to the bathroom to let out the air as if you were dumping out the contents in the bag.