Ostomy Memories of Choice

Replies
Views
HenryM
Apr 20, 2021 7:26 am

DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS. Life is full of them, from the simple to the terribly consequential. They get you coming and going. Enter a pub and the bartender wants to know, “What’ll it be?” Leaving a grocery store, you’re asked, “Paper or plastic?” Then, when you die, your poor spouse is asked, “Do you want this simple pine box or this fancy mahogany one?” I presume that all of you, like me, ostomy patients all, had to sign on the bottom line, agreeing to submit to the surgery. It’s never-ending, ranging from easy stuff to head spinning posers that make you want to just flip the proverbial coin, or flip your lid, go “mental,” as it were. Choice is forced upon us from the cradle to the grave. At your wedding, the minister wants to know, “Do you take this person to be your lawfully wedded spouse?” He is saying, are you sure you want to do this? If the police take you into custody, the law requires them to give you your Miranda rights, e.g., you have the right to have an attorney present (are you sure that you want to talk to us?). Even the judge, whose job it is to make decisions, may have a little secret assistance on the bench that others can’t see: a little spinner that, when he surreptitiously spins it, will land on either YES or NO, SUSTAINED or OVERRULED. Some things may be accidental, but they are surrounded by the constant need to choose. It has been that way since time immemorial. “Choice,” said Aristotle, “not chance, determines your destiny.”

Ritz
Apr 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Henry , 

many tell me ..".in the end ,it's your choice alone to make ". But what is the best choice ? What is the right decision ? 
    The simple decision as to , What to wear today, what food to cook for tonight's dinner , do I want to clean the house or have fun sewing ? These come and go each day .

But then the bigger choices as to , do I change my residence,but where will I go ... do I allow myself to truly fall in love and trust again  or do I just sit by ?The bigger decisions I don't wish to make alone ,so are those choices or decisions? 
At times I sit and contemplate way too much ...perhaps just rolling with my feelings and my brain of what's left of it ,is the best choice I can make , spitting it out and not keeping my thoughts to myself . 
So , I will put one foot forward and follow my paths to the best decisions and choices for me and those around me . Life is quite complicated at times ,but I always wait for a person to simply open the door for , a good deed of my days ahead .

Ritz ..... always seeking advice,adventure and peace.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm

Ritz, I worked it out with my wife so that we split up the decision making.  I let her be responsible for the little, everyday things such as what house to buy, what state to live in, things like that, and I handle the important things like what to name our cats, whether to cook lamb on the grill or in the oven, etc.  It works out well.  :)