Ostomy Memories Finds a Colon

Replies
Views
HenryM
Apr 02, 2022 7:44 am

Login to see image
I LOST MY COLON AND ASSOCIATED PARTS back in 1964, so I’ve certainly had plenty of time to get used to living without it.  Imagine my surprise, then, to discover the existence of a 10-foot tall, 200-pound inflatable colon on display at our local VA clinic (see photo).  It’s hard to keep from wondering if a human-sized version could be utilized to replace a dysfunctional colon.  I mean, they accomplish so much with synthetics these days.  Yet it’s downright amazing the things people can live without in today’s fragmented society.  Runners without limbs, educators without sight, even politicians without brains!   Mary Shelley, the author of the novel ‘Frankenstein,’ would have a field day.  In any event, the outsized inflatable colon was on display to honor National Colorectal Cancer Awareness month and show the different anomalies that can be found during routine screenings.  Colon cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S.  As for a colonoscopy, since I lack the appropriate orifice into which to shove the tube, one less thing for me to worry about.  

Bill
Apr 02, 2022 8:00 am

Hello HenryM. 

What a great idea! Maybe they could make a giant colon that people could walk through and have all the anomalies explained along the way. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
Apr 02, 2022 8:09 am
Reply to Bill

That's what this is, Bill.