Living with Ileo and Mucus Fistula: Sudden Changes

Replies
Views
janice
May 11, 2010 12:18 pm
Does anyone else have both of these? I awoke in the wee hours of the morning to a very active mucas fistula. For the past yr. it has been very inactive. Just a little poo & mucas. This morning was like a faucett, running constantly, major blowout because of it and SMELL! UG! It is REALLY foul smelling.

I've never had that happen before. I even pooped some! (my rectum is not sewed up).

Obviously, it's suppose to do that. As long as air & mucas are comming out that is preventing an obstruction.

It was so inactive that I bought the little closed end pouches. Now I have a regular pouch back on. Also had to change my ilio. It has been a LONG three hours in the bathroom this morning!
lottagelady
May 11, 2010 10:09 pm
I am not sure whether or not I have a mucous fistula???

I have a loop ileostomy ... right next to my actual stoma is a smaller piece of bowel, (presumably where the loop was cut?) which has a hole in it where I put a glycerine suppository down recently to try to shift all the crap that had backed up since my last episode in hospital last September ....  I now think that all of that hopefully has gone since my last 2 hospital visits where' the earth moved' substantially!

Can anyone tell me, is that a mucous fistula and if so what is its purpose?

Ridiculous I should be 6 years down the line and don't even know..............? Doh!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

janice
May 12, 2010 5:26 am
I'm not sure if you have one or not.  Mine is on the left of my abdomen & my ilio is on my right.  A mucas fistula sort of acts like an air hole to prevent you from getting a blockage.