Stoma Prolapse Experiences: Functioning Normally?

Replies
Views
jalrein
Dec 16, 2022 3:20 pm

My stoma is increasing in length from top to bottom as well as slowly sticking out farther. I am having no problems with its production. Still emptying normal amounts per day. When I lie down, it goes back in a little. Everything I've read online says it's normal and no need to worry. However, it just looks "weird." Has anyone had this issue and NOT done anything? Just let it keep functioning normally and letting it go, so to speak?

AlexT
Dec 16, 2022 5:45 pm

As in, how much bigger?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Dec 16, 2022 9:24 pm

I can't profess to know a whole lot about it, but I've had my own experience with prolapse. Mine started very small, maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, and it didn't affect my output. I remember the ostomy nurse said she was not concerned about it. Then, a few weeks later, it suddenly came out a lot, and I mean four to five inches. It totally freaked me out. It pretty much filled up my pouch, and my output stopped completely. I was also in a lot of pain. It required a trip to the ER and two attempts by the surgeon to get it back in (under anesthetic) before it worked. My surgeon told me that once you have had a prolapse, it is more likely to continue and get worse. This was when I had a colostomy, and I've since had that reversed and now have an ileostomy, with no problems at all. I would talk to your surgeon or ostomy nurse to get their take on it. In the meantime, if it's still working and not causing pain, you probably don't need to worry too much.

Terry

Shebeep
Dec 18, 2022 5:58 am

I've been having prolapse issues for months now, and just like the poster above, mine is also protruding about 5 inches or so and almost to the bottom of my bag. I was very freaked out at first about it, and it is still alarming to look at, but the doctor is not concerned about it at all. He said as long as it's productive and producing output, then it's fine. I'm going to be trying for my reversal on Jan. 10th and praying that it's successful, but he said if he is unable to do the reversal, that he may try to fix the prolapse but also told me that it will most likely just prolapse again because once they start doing this, they usually just continue to do it. Mine is not usually painful. Sometimes I will get some painful shooting shocks/pains, but it's not all the time that the stoma is in the prolapse state. Don't be alarmed as long as you are having your output, but I'd still run it by your physician. Good luck dear, it is a pain in the butt! ♥️