Ostomy Memories of the Brass Ring

Replies
Views
HenryM
Feb 09, 2023 8:49 am

WHEN YOU’RE YOUNG, IT’S OKAY to be a dreamer.  Your whole life is ahead of you, there are so many choices, so many rewarding possibilities.  I can only suspect that I was once a dreamer since I have no specific memory of it.  I think that I became an absurdist at an early age.  I remember my best friend in elementary school once telling me that I laughed too much.  My response was that he was too serious about things.  Then he moved away.  I grew up, all the accidents that make up one’s life propelled me along my way, there was a brass ring just ahead, then I got sick and learned what an ostomy was.  During the ensuing years, I climbed back into the saddle, not thinking that the horse wouldn’t throw me again but that, if he did, I’d land on my feet and keep going, which I did.  By then, I was a hard-wired cynic, but still laughing at the absurdity of it all.  I had marveled at the talents of the Beatles.  “You may say I’m a dreamer,” sang John Lennon, “but I’m not the only one.  I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will live as one.”   We all saw what his dreams got him.  Some asshole shot him dead on the street.  Even so, I look at my beautiful granddaughter now and wonder what she’s dreaming.  I shove my cynicism aside and root for her wholeheartedly.  I’m dreaming, as it were, that she grabs her brass ring.

TerryLT
Feb 09, 2023 8:56 pm

What a beautiful post Henry.  Made me a little teary eyed.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.