Show and Tell Forum: Share Your Medical Photos and Stories

Replies
Views
Faith4Today
Aug 16, 2010 1:26 am
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!  

Login to see image

A picture saves a thousand words.  Maybe you could post some of your stoma names under a picture in your profile. Or if you are having a hernia problem and question you could enclose a snapshot.  I know as a newbie I have never seen a stoma with a hernia and wouldn't know one if I had one.  Or when an skin irritation requires medical attention and not just alittle air.

Maybe I have gone around the bend...
bearcat
Aug 16, 2010 3:25 am
Faith.believe me when i tell you if you had a hernia under your stoma, you would know it. if i look down i see  large protrusion  with a red nipple on the end, kinda like a 38 double dog, if you know what i mean. doesn't hurt, but the bludge is there
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Aug 16, 2010 8:33 am
I will see what I can do ... mine bloody hurts! XX
margie
Aug 16, 2010 9:17 am
thanks for asking that question. i am new to this as well, worry about herinas and  don't know what one wold look like so worry more.
bearcat
Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm
where does it hurt, under the stoma? around the stoma? in the general area? has it ever been repaired?

if  you see a bludge under and around the stoma, then you probaly have a hernia. they can be a nuisance, possibility of never hurting. can be repaired by surgery, but most surgeons will tell you it a 50-50 chance of success. mine was repaired in Mar. and was back in early Jun. and we're waiting for it to become a problem before attacking it again. problems needs to be pain or trouble with bag sticking to the site. also some people are more prone than others to have a hernia. mine has never hurt at all. does make wearing of clothes more difficult as it's hard to tuck your shirt in with a big ole hernia sticking out of your waist. hope this helps.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
lottagelady
Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm
Hi - I did try, but really cannot face putting piccies of my monster on the internet! However, I have found some pics of some which may help .... the first two are very similar to my own - but think mine is bigger, ugh!

Login to see image

Login to see image

Login to see image

My support!

Login to see image

t_wil
Aug 18, 2010 2:15 am
Where did you get your support belt at?  I could use one of those!
lottagelady
Aug 18, 2010 7:20 am
Hi there - I'm afaid that it was specially 'built' for me by the NHS Orthotics Dept .... as there is nothing on the market man enough for the job of holding my hernia in!!! xxx
Pinky
Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm
hey t_wil - do you have a hernia belt?  Nu-Hope makes generic and custom belts - I have a 4" one that I wear to help my hernia when I walk or have to do any (light) lifting.  A lot of men I know wear the 8" wide belts.

I forgot to weat my belt the other day when a bunch of us went to the SD Zoo and I was in pain.  I put on my sister's fanny pack, and even that little belt held the hernia in enough to make me more comfortable!    

Login to see image

bearcat
Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am
i wear a Nu-Hope 6in belt wiht a 3in hole almost all the day time.seems to help quite a bit
t_wil
Aug 20, 2010 3:21 am
Yes i wear one. I would like that one because it looks like it would be sooooo   supportative.
Faith4Today
Aug 23, 2010 3:08 am
I see these are under stoma.  Thank you for finding those pics.  Is that where they usually occur or are they often on surgery scar?  If on scar are they usually low or up by belly button?  Do Drs usually wait until they are large or try to fix them when them while they are still small to prevent more opening of the muscular girdle?  If we are opened again in same abdominal scar is a hernia more likely, the first time around or second? Do you think it is because the surgen didn't sew us up tightly enough or left gaps for intestines to creep through?  

I know these are alot of questions, but you all seem to know more about it than any of the Drs.  All information is greatly appreciated by all of us knewbees who don't really know what the future holds for us.   Thank you for parenting us.....
Faith4Today
Aug 23, 2010 3:10 am
Should we wear a belt as a preventative, before any hernia occurs?
bearcat
Aug 23, 2010 3:32 am
to your questions: if you have a stoma, i recommed a hernia belt if your exercise, lift. or do manual labor, if you have a hernia already, i recommend a belt all the time while you awake. most hernias are underneath the stoma. the stoma itself is a small hernia. repair is 50-50 at best, a hernia belt will help as much as anything will. Nu-Hope and i imagine others do to, make an excellent belt with many sizes.
lottagelady
Aug 23, 2010 8:02 am
Hi Faith - those photos are of parastomal hernias - ie around the stoma -but  you can also get incisional hernias around the scars too I'm afraid. All the surgery weakens the muscle around these areas so it can only take a cough or a sneeze to set one off unfortunately! If you don't facy wearing something quite as sexy as mine (!) maybe try 'magic knickers', give some support without feeling as though you are being strapped in!

The ones from Comfizz are pretty good too, give light support and allow the stoma to drain into bag okay..

http://www.stomawear.uk.com/ladies_brief.htm

Hope what I have shown you helps a bit?

Take care

Rach xx
Gus
Aug 23, 2010 9:59 am
My hernia just gets bigger,, if it was an open wound I could put my fist into it. I haate the bloody things
Faith4Today
Sep 02, 2010 12:48 am
Thank you for the site with ladies undies.  How can your stoma drain with all that pressure on the bag?  Do you keep your output in liquid form?  My stoma gets plugged up if my stool is the least bit formed.
andy_eh!
Sep 06, 2010 12:09 am
I am surprised by the comments here.  It would seem that if you have a hernia - you live with it.  I had my iguinal hernia repaired at the Shouldice Clinic in Toronto - www.shouldice.com about six years ago.  Mind you my stoma only appeared on the scene in '08.  However, if I had another I'd be back at Shouldice - world famous.  Check it out!  And good luck.