What able to wear

Replies
Views
Redneck Cowgirl
Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am
I am fairly new to having a Illestomy. I had mine done July 2009.  I live in Arizona and before the surgery wore tight jeans.  I notice in some of your pictures that you have on tight pants. My question is how are you able to do that when the bags either fill up with either some air or bowl movement.  I know that this probably seems like a vain question but I miss not being able to dress the way I was use to. I am totally western by which I mean I wear cowboy boots every day, western type top (use to tuck in) and use to wear jeans. I also miss not being able to wear my western belt and jeans with top tucked in. I would appreciate any help or information.

Thank you very much.

Redneck Cowgirl

Login to see image

Login to see image

Just me
Mar 09, 2011 4:55 pm
You can still wear your jeans and belt, but you just have to do a little more work to do it.  You can put kleenex over the rim of the pouch which camoflages it.  Use Beano to reduce the amount of gas that accumulates, and then just dump more frequently.  Just remember that the pouch doesn't make the woman, and it doesn't have to control you.  

Just me.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

The Bag
Mar 09, 2011 4:59 pm
I hear you with wearing jeans, 501 Levi's...I swear by them. Only thing I can tell you is to try suspenders. I find it doesn't put to much pressure on the stoma and yet be comfortable.

Possibly go one size bigger as well? I don't like a belt pushing on the stoma, just being paranoid and I'm sure it be fine? 10 bucks or so, give it a shot, you never know? Trial and error with us folks.

Login to see image

OSTOMATES RULE!!

Login to see image

nessy
Mar 09, 2011 5:39 pm
Just like bag said, go one size bigger.What works best for me is an elasticated belt

Login to see image

, just looks like a cloth belt, but doesn't chafe the flange, works great.

Cheers Bob
Xerxes
Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm
Hi Red,

From my perspective I have to wear pants a little larger. I don't like it, but I found that if I don't I run the risk of buildup and leakage. This is especially important during those times when I am out in the public or at work and don't have ready access to a bathroom. Other times, when I have much more flexibilty, I wear the tighter pants. The most annoying problem is the belt line that cuts right across the stoma. The larger size pants allow for better manipulation and less pressure on the stoma.

X_

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
three
Mar 09, 2011 7:48 pm
Redneck Cowgirl ~ a stoma shield will cover your stoma and allow you to tighten a belt directly above it.  Convatec provides their sports shields free in Canada, but these shields are not available in the States (perhaps a stoma nurse would know of an alternative). Here's a link to a discussion about stoma shields:

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2138
steadychic
Mar 10, 2011 1:45 am
I tried maturnity jeans but, they don't stay up that well. Now i wear my regular jeans and don't button the button and put a belly band over. If it hangs out it looks like a cammy. I feel secure, can still wear my same jeans. I usally go with longer tops. Oh and if u don't know a belly band is a maturnity thing.
nessy
Mar 10, 2011 3:51 am
[quote="three"]Redneck Cowgirl ~ a stoma shield will cover your stoma and allow you to tighten a belt directly above it.  Convatec provides their sports shields free in Canada, but these shields are not available in the States (perhaps a stoma nurse would know of an alternative). Here's a link to a discussion about stoma shields:

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2138[/quote]

How do you obtain the Convatec shield ?

Cheers Bob
three
Mar 10, 2011 5:35 am
Hi Bob ~ Canadian residents can call Convatec at 1-800-465-6302 and ask for a free sports shield. You need to purchase an elastic belt (to clip to the shield) from an ostomy supply store. The Convatec belt is of poor quality; the Coloplast belt (0421) is much better and its clips fit the Convatec shield.
nessy
Mar 10, 2011 5:52 am
Thanks for quick response, I'll give them a call.

Cheers Bob
Past Member
Mar 10, 2011 11:27 am
Thanks three. I looked on their website for it and typed it in their search box and it said no such item found. Maybe they don't put it on their website. I will give them a call this morning. Again, thanks.
cjsnora_66
Mar 16, 2011 8:25 am
I used to wear the traditional wranglers too. But now I can't really do that, but that's ok.  I wear levi's, but they are called too superlow i think. They sit below my stoma, which is comfortable, and tuck the tail of my pouch in the waist of my jeans. If it's a day that I'm more gassy, I wear a Bella Band. It helps smooth bag under my shirt and keep it right where I want it. This all works well for me

Login to see image

. Good luck!

Lydia