Your blog entry title goes here

Replies
Views
joeweld
Oct 01, 2011 12:05 am
Hello everyone;

I am living in Ohio at 71 years young and I have had a colostomy for over 12 years.

I guess I should have found this site sooner because I have learned so much here that I learned on my own, due to such a limited budget and no medical insurance one is left to fetch for ones self in the medical arena.

About the problem with swimming and showering; I made a cover for the wafer and pouch from a #1 ‘Rubbermaid’ bowl. It is secured with an adjustable fabric belt from a carry all bag or purse you can find that has a clasp on each end (Wal-Mart, $3.00.) and the length that fits your mid section. I made a stainless steel (I was a welder for way to many years.) ring around the bowl from .030” welding wire with a smaller ½” hoop on either side for the clasps. > oOo < If the pouch is emptied and rolled up it fits in the bowl and then snap the clasp on each end to the smaller loops securing it to the body. A small twist of the bowl and all the hair is moved out of the way to secure a seal.

With a long ‘T’ shirt on, no one knows I wear a pouch at the pool and my shower time is as long as I wish.

For intimate times with my lady I have made a sort-of ‘Cummerbund’. She and I are in the process of developing a design that will be easier than stepping into or putting this one over my head to put it on. I will see how this will work with Velcro for more adjustability than the elastic. Hopefully this will also double for a trip to the pool with the bowl on the inside and maybe a colorful pattern on the outside. We will see how this idea works as time and money allows.

Only we who have been close to not having life really respect the value of it every day.

joeweld
Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm
Good Morning everyone;I was wondering if all who wear this is emptying it as instructed by opening the pouch over the comode?JW
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

CY
Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm
this dec will be my 10 anversity of a colsomty 82 years old and will never get used to the bag
joeweld
Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm
Hey CY;Just another way of going to the potty. Some times it is difficult to remember the date, Just what had to be done. What is that old saying about being able to change what we can and accepting what we can't?Most people I have met whith a pouch ignore it until it is in need of servicing.If you are alive, go with that.Works for me. (And a lot of other folks.)JW