Op and after

Replies
Views
Sevensins
Oct 16, 2011 7:15 pm
Something i probably should have included in my last blog and that will be applicable in this one is that i had a bladder augmentation using part of the bowel which caused complications for this operation.

So the day of the operation arived i was supposed to have it lapriscopic and be in surgery just 20 minutes-1 hour so not one of my bigger operations but possibly the most life changing. i arrived at the hospital and went to the "elective admissions lounge" which for those who don't know is instead of going onto a ward you go into a waiting room, then have more paperwork filled out and your band put on, then the stoma nurse came down and took me into a private changing room to mark me up for where my stoma would be (doing various bending sitting and laying and taking into account how you wear your trousers.) then depending where you are in the quque you are filtered through for a quick chat with the consultant and get into your gown and have the cannula inserted. I somehow got bumped up the list, so was in by theatre by 10am. As i said this was meant to be a 20 minute lapriscopic proceedure more than an operation, however due to complications when they opened me up so it took over 4 hours to complete it.

I don't remember much of that first night at all, apparently i was happy as larry and everything was fine and dandy! The next morning i was more awake and off the morphine n such n just feel relieved to be out the other end i also rememeber the stoma nurse changing my bag for me as i still wasnt up and about.

The next day i changed my own bag with help, i admit it didnt go great and the next 2 days i struggled to change it (mainly because of a Post- OP infection that wasnt diagnosed until the day i was due to leave.) As the days went on i got my act together in hospital and decided id been through worse and this wasnt going to be the one that stops me. after id decided that the remaining days in hospital were a breeze i made better decisions regarding what kinda bag suited me best and absorbed much more information.

Skipping forward to the ride home you sure do notice every bump in the road, but getting home always makes u feel better even if it is just before christmas and your boiler froze up while in hospital. i actually went a lil backwards at home due to infection and it opening at the top the next 2 weeks i rarely moved for anything because of the pain but still i was home and that got my through this stage.

SallyWillard
Oct 16, 2011 11:01 pm
Patiently waiting for part 3. You're doing great!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.