Recovery

Replies
Views
Sevensins
Oct 17, 2011 4:03 pm
So at the request of my buddy Mr Dastardly i am continuing the blog as "it can't end there."

PS. If anyone would like to chat we have a little evening club in the General Chat Room from around 5pm GMT time onwards.

So the following weeks at home consisted of daily vists by the District nurses (even christmas day) to change the dressing on my scar and see how much it had healed, this wasnt so bad (student nurses, can i say more?) although having a rainbow of colours coming from a hole in a scar is hardly the bases of a chat up line. Christmas was a quiet one and i still hadn't got my apetite back properly. i was kinda glad about this as im so grumpy during recovery and stubborn to boot!

I eventually worked up to going to the doctors for the dressing changes rather than them coming to me, with my poor balance and the ice this was an experience and a half. So far i had not really made any kinda communication with many people (even via the internet) i just tend to shut people out leading to an op and change into a different me. About 1 month after my op i decided id come onto the internet and look at some website links my Stoma nurse had given me with some leaflets, i sgined up and viewed the forums to see what experiences others had, and if i could contribute in some way.

(The following content in the following paragraph may offend some but is just from my perspective)

The thing that shocked me the most when viewing these forums was the horror stories of how this operation had actually affected people so bad some wouldn't leave the house and of loved ones crying out for support on how to cope with the change in there partners life, ofcourse i had been around 100s if not 1000s of people in my life with problems, however most of these had been sick from birth and it was a different mentalality, this probably affected me the most as its something i had never accounted for, that this operation in some peoples lives could be as bad the problem it was designed to help, i was stumped, i couldn't think of words of encouragement or any advice that would ever be enough to have an impact, then i got onto questioning how i in my life had always been lucky to avoid such emotional trauma from surgery. Since this has been something thats interested me, i guess i had the upper hand on many in that 1. This was going to give me control over my health like i'd never experienced. 2. I had faced adversity due to my illness all my life (they rarely come up with new insults), 3. This wasnt my first and wasn't going to be last it was just a bump in the road.

As time went on I decided to look for other ostomy sites (aswell as signing up to be a volunteer for Colostomy Association), which led me to this one, i had a quick look and went to bed, i remember the first person to message me was JohnNotKen and we chatted and he told me about his experience and i told him about mine, I then decided to view some posts, but am more of a hang out in chat kinda guy. Since then i have regular contact with Ostomates on this site and am often available in General Chat.

ms.gena
Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm
Today the sky might be cloudy all day, but the sun is shinning somewhere.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gmy
Oct 19, 2011 1:20 am
I am with the poster above..I had no problems since I had suffered for several years with no help and blood transfusions every six months. So the decisions wasen't hard for me to make..I have adjusted fine but just have noone to talk to about my condition...there are no support groups in my area...
mooza
Oct 19, 2011 4:37 am
Hey sevensins would like to catch up and have aq chat i havnt had a chat with Jnot ken for ages its vewry early in the morning in Australia when i have had the pleasure to chat with JnK lovely young guy xxx mooza xx you sound intersestin anyway i have a travel bag but its the one from Coloplast its actually pretty good .LOL i got a few then they must have caught on and sent stuff with plain envelopes hahahah cheers ...I volunteer at my Association and learned soooo much im the only Vol, with ileo and crohns so im the odd one hahah seems weird a bit :) take care ms gina .