Review of Braun Irrimatic

Replies
Views
Bill
Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm
REVIEW of BRAUN ‘IRRIMATIC’:

Electrical Irrigation Pump for (Stoma and Rectal) Intestinal Flushing.

I wish to be as objective as possible about this gadget so I will declare my interest and position at the outset.

I have a colostomy and have been irrigating successfully for about 18months. After my surgery and the initial healing process, one of the (peristalsis) muscles inside the stoma seemed to migrate across the hole and close it up. This made getting the cone in and passing water into the stoma much more difficult, to the point of becoming impracticable and unsatisfactory. I did not want to simply keep pushing the cone in as hard as I could and risk rupturing the lining of the stoma so I adapted a hand-pumped pressurised (3 litre) spray that was in the garden shed and connected the cone and piping to that.

This pumped the water with reasonable force passed the obstruction without damaging anything in the process. Once the water was flowing, the cone was easy enough to push in to the stoma in the normal way but following the waterline. This home-made device has been satisfactory and without problems for about 9 months.

Looking ahead to possible travel abroad. I did not think that customs and boarder control would appreciate me taking on board a device with ‘KILLASPRAY’ emblazoned in bold letters across the side of it. Thus, when Braun brought out their device I thought I ought to give it a trial.

Point 1) I had the device with an option of returning it within 30days if it was not satisfactory. This is a very useful option for those who wish to give it a go to see how they get on.

Point 2) This gadget seemed expensive:

Totalling £322.37 including VAT & carriage costs. (£260.64 excl; VAT )

(I made mine for nothing so this might have influenced my perspective on the price)

Point 3) It is not available on prescription in the UK.

Point 4) It comes complete with everything you need to complete the task.

This includes cone, sleeves etc. Although I find that the type of sleeves Braun supplied are not to my liking. However, that does not detract from the gadget itself as it is easy enough to use someone else’s sleeves.

Point 5) The Irrimatic looks good, is well designed and fit for purpose. (for most people)

(It was not so good for me as it only has 2 litres capacity and I waste a lot of water initially whilst trying to insert the cone into my blocked stoma. I need at least 2.5 to 3 litres capacity otherwise I would have to refill half way through the procedure. Instead I filled up my own gadget as well as theirs and used the Braun first.

Point 6) General:

The Braun Irrimatic is and does what it says it does.

I liked the easy fit hose and the slightly protruding lights on the front. These can be seen if the device is on the floor the floor - from where it works perfectly well. The pressure is easily adjustable via a swivel switch on top and it is adequate for ‘normal’ use.

As previously explained it did not flow fast enough for me to press passed the obstacle in my stoma. However, this condition would not apply to most people. Once the cone was in and past the obstacle it did the job as expected.

I liked the square shape as it enabled me to put it on the bath board as well as on the floor.

My own preference would be for the water compartment to have a lid. I could envisage having problems in public toilets carrying an open container from sink to toilet without spilling it.

The instruction manual was easy to read and gives a clear indication as to prerequisites and contraindications.

If there is no electricity in your bathroom – and for safety reasons there shouldn’t be, it can be charged up at any socket. It does not say when it is fully charged but the recommendation is to leave it on charge. (I’m not sure what conservationists would have to say about that!)

The charger and plug does not look like a ‘professional’ device but more like something I would have made up in my shed. I feel that they let themselves down on this design and could have got a better looking adapter from a local electrical shop.

Summary :

For those of you who are seriously interested in gadgets and have this sort of money going spare (and are not into DIY.) I would recommend the Braun Irrimatic.

It has functionality and style. It does look good in the bathroom. It has some drawbacks and minor flaws but it is to Braun’s credit that they are developing new devices for our benefit and they should be applauded and supported in that.

I also feel sure that it would be acceptable as a medical aid to customs officers and the like.

I will be returning my Irrimatic within the time period. However, this is only because I need something with greater water capacity and a faster flow in the initial phase.

I hope you find this review useful

Best wishes

Bill Withers

Bill
Aug 26, 2012 8:36 am
I had a 'message' from veejay and replied to it but it then did not show on this blog so I'm copying it here so that the dialogue can be seen by those who view the original blog.Hello veejay, I think that B. Braun medical is an international company so it should be available in Australia. They have a website so I presume that you could find out from that. I would add that since I have decided to send it back they have not so far been very good at coming back to me so at present I would be wary about their offer to take it back within the 30 day period. I was not sure if your interest was in the Braun product or if you were interested in how I have been irrigating with pressure for about 9 months. If it is the latter. then all I did was use the 2.5ltr garden weedkiller container (Killaspray - cleaned of course) and attach the the Coloplast cone, stop and tubes just as they come. Needless to say there is no warning guide to temperature so this needs to be carefully monitored by hand - I stick my finger in to test the temperature. I have just purchased a 3Ltr 'Roundup' pumpgo container for the same purpose but I now need to find some weeds in order to empty it! I am unsure as to whether it will be as good as the Killaspray because it isn't made of see-through plastic and it doesn't have measurements on the side. I have found these very useful to see how much I'm pumping in and ascertaining when I need to stop. Now I have been doing it for a while this aspect is not so important as I have a 'feel' of what is going on inside and I tend to go with that rather than measuring the actual amounts. Nonetheless, it is good to have both options so that one can be checked against the other. The garden pump is simple,effective and cheap.(even if you buy a brand-new pump which is weedkiller-free!) I checked out with my stoma nurse before embarking on this experiment, but she was all in favour and welcomed the feedback. I'm not sure if all such medical people would be that accommodating as many of them are not risk-takers, even if those risks are well calculated. I hope you are able to use this information and I would welcome your feedback if you try it. Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Aug 30, 2012 5:50 am
Hello Barry, Thanks for replying to this blog.It's good to know that it works whilst travelling as that was what I had in mind for it. Shame about the voltage adapter but being a new gadget they are probably just marketing it in the UK. VJ has messaged me to say that he cannot get one in Australia. I'll post my reply to him below as I don't think everyone else can read my messages.Best wishesBill Hello VJ.A pity about Australian Braun - (still, your athletes seem to have plenty!) My ostomy nurse sent me some urinary catheters to try but they were far too thin and I was concerned in case they penetrated the inside lining of the stoma. I have been considering trying the end pieces that I use for anal irrigation. These are about the size and diameter of a pen. They have a nice rounded end and the water comes out of two holes in the side at the end so it is unlikely to do any damage on entry and exit. The other advantage is that they have a 'balloon' type arrangement that can be pumped up so that the water does not escape.The disadvantage is that because of this complication they have their own bag; (which is not big enough) their own pump; (which is not strong enough) and their own fittings which makes it harder to DIY and fix it to an alternative container. I have botched it onto some normal plumbing fittings and use the shower hose in the bath to anally irrigate. This works very well as it gives me the pressure and an unlimited amount of water. With anal irrigation this is not a problem as the excess water simply comes out into the bath. I am not sure that this would work with the ostomy as there is no regulation on pressure and amounts of water. Also, once it is inserted there is no way of telling what the temperature of the water is. All in all I felt this idea was too risky for ostomy irrigation. However, I'm still working on ideas so if I come up with something that works I'll post it on here.Best wishesBillPS: I don't quite know how this 'messaging' works in relation to sharing the thread with others, so I will copy this onto the blog so other people can share in the conversation.