Alternative Brands for Ostomy Plugs After Coloplast Discontinuation

Replies
Views
claudia_asm
Nov 16, 2023 8:45 pm

Hello,

Recently, Coloplast decided to remove the ostomy plugs for colostomy.

Do you know any other brand where I can buy them? Do you know any alternative or solution?

My quality of life improved so much with this.

Thank you

Beachboy
Nov 17, 2023 2:50 am

Hello,

I have to ask: What are colostomy plugs? Do they plug the stoma for people who use irrigation instead of wafers and bags?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

claudia_asm
Nov 17, 2023 8:03 am
Reply to Beachboy

Yes, they do! So you don't have to wear a bag.

Coloplast used to have Alterna colostomy plug.

Months ago, they retired it.

Bill
Nov 17, 2023 8:33 am

Hello claudia_asm.
I had been using Coloplast stoma plugs quite successfully for years. However, there were a couple of problems I had that I shared with the Coloplast R&D team.
The problems were:
1) Occasionally the plug would break away from its wafer and remain inside the stoma until the natural peristalsis pushed it out
2) Quite often, the plug would be pushed out of the stoma and be held between the wafer and skin. This could at times be painful but not serious. 

I hoped that this information would be useful to their team to enable them to improve on the product. I hope was not the motivation for them to withdraw the plugs. 
Now, to possible alternatives:
I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes stoma plugs, so below are some of the things I have experimented with in the past.
1) If you irrigate, you don't need to do anything much, other than cover the stoma with something that will absorb any possible output. ( I think there are some types of wafers without the plugs for this purpose.
2) I tried women's tampons, but they were not as effective as the plugs and they tended to dry inside and stick a bit too much when trying to pull them out.
3) I have made several versions of plugs, because my main reason for using them was to stop my hernia from closing the hole. So far, the best of these was made from nasal inhaler tubes which are the right shape and have a screw-end where a makeshift wafer can be attached so that the plug doesn't disappear into the stoma. (I did make one with very small holes drilled into the sides to let the gas out, but this resulted in the stoma migrating into the holes, which made it very difficult to pull the plug out - so, I don't recommend this approach).
4) My next experiment was going to be a tube with a tampon inside so that it could slide in and out but would not stick.

However, events and conditions have changed for me in that I have recently had a stoma prolapse, which has rendered the use of plugs inappropriate.
I have therefore developed a whole new approach, which involves a baseplate with a screw-on top which protects the extended stoma and catches any slight output. 
I would have been very disappointed with the withdrawal of the stoma plugs had it not been for the fact that I am no longer able to use them. However, I do have a few boxes left over and would be quite happy to post them to you if I  had your contact details. (You could message me privately to disclose this).
Best wishes

Bill

claudia_asm
Nov 19, 2023 5:12 pm
Reply to Bill

Hello!!
Thank you for your reply and interest.

I can't send you a private message as I am not a premium member. But I would be very very interested in having this plugs that you still have.

Thank You!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
claudia_asm
Nov 19, 2023 5:13 pm
Reply to Bill

I am sorry to hear about the prolapse, hopefully they can solve it at some point and keep on with your normality?

Bill
Nov 19, 2023 6:12 pm
Reply to claudia_asm

Okay Claudia. 
I am not sure if I can message you ,but I'll give it a go and if it works you are supposed to be able to reply. If this is so you could provide me with details of where to post the sup[plies to.
Best wishes

Bill