Constant Filling of Ostomy and Stomach Cramping

Replies
Views
GrannyRocks
May 27, 2024 7:49 pm

My ostomy bag is filled at least halfway each time I have to pee, and I pee a lot because I drink a lot of water. I am up every 1-2 hours all night peeing and emptying the bag, then feeling dizzy when I lay down. I thought maybe it was dehydration, so I increased water and added some hydrating salts. It made it worse. I had some bad cramping in my lower abdomen, so I finally took some Imodium, which seems to have helped a bit. I also have leukemia, so I don't know if that's involved in this issue either. I had my surgery on March 12, 2024. Does anyone have a similar issue, and did you resolve it?

w30bob
May 28, 2024 1:03 am

Hi GrannyRocker,

That's an interesting post you wrote. People usually get dizzy when they stand up, not when they lie down. Assuming that's not a typo, you may have a viral ear infection. Getting dizzy when lying down isn't related to anything else I can think of other than a type of vertigo called BPPV, which stands for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Try saying that three times real fast after you've had a beer or two! BPPV typically only occurs for short durations and a change in head position usually stops it. Note that a viral ear infection can cause diarrhea, even though you wouldn't think the two are related in any way, so that could explain your increased output. And drinking more would make that worse. You didn't mention why you got your ileostomy or if any small bowel has been removed... so I'll leave it here for now.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

CrappyColon
May 28, 2024 2:06 am

Hi, are you currently undergoing chemotherapy for your leukemia?