Experiencing Watery Stool from Original Area Post-Ostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
Momoftwo
Jun 02, 2024 12:55 am

My ostomy surgery was done 4 years ago, and I had been doing fairly well considering I am now 87. I began to develop a hernia at the ostomy site. My doctor advised not to have surgery for it. Well, it grew large and is now the size of... hmmmm... a honeydew! There is no way to hide it, and so I never go out of the house. I have several other medical problems also... I just deal with them as best I can. But now I have begun to have a watery stool... very strange looking... from the original area where stool should be leaving the body... a couple of times a day! Does anyone else have this problem? My doctor doesn't give me advice about it! I wish you all well!

Beachboy
Jun 02, 2024 5:01 am

You need a new doctor. He should have advised you to wear a hernia support belt. It wouldn't have fixed the peristomal hernia, but might have slowed or even contained its growth. Your doctor probably figured you were too old for surgical repair and sent you home.

Patient studies at hospitals have shown a small increase in perioperative mortality and morbidity in elderly people, but once this has passed, long-term outcomes match those of younger patients. Laparoscopic surgical techniques show promise in accelerating recovery in patients over age 75.

If your hernia is really bothering you, you should look for a surgeon to consult with about possible types of repair or restraint. This hernia has diminished your quality of life, you're stuck in the house. A fix or repair would give you back your dignity and mobility. Yes, you statistically don't have many years left, but you do deserve to have them be good ones.

The only thing that should be coming out of your bum (butthole... sorry) is mucus. Consult a different doctor about the watery discharge. At a minimum, you should have a CT/MRI scan and a physical exam.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jun 02, 2024 5:01 am

Change doctors.

Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 3:28 pm

Agree to get a new doctor.

IGGIE
Jun 03, 2024 4:18 pm

G-Day MoMo, get a new doctor and go see the surgeon; you need that fixing. Regards, IGGIE

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play