Tomato Sandwich Concerns for Ileostomy Patients

Replies
Views
R1Kirby
Jun 22, 2024 10:54 pm

Has anyone had problems with tomatoes? I have had an ileostomy for 8 months and would like a good old tomato sandwich.

Axl
Jun 23, 2024 1:08 am

No, never, but you will see some red in your output. Don't panic; it's just tomato residue.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jun 23, 2024 5:39 am

It's a tomato, enjoy.

Ben38
Jun 23, 2024 7:13 am

No problems for me. I can't say if it will be the same for you. Just eat one and see how it goes; it's the only way.

ron in mich
Jun 23, 2024 12:22 pm

Hi all, I've had my ileo for 30 some years and I haven't had any issues with tomatoes right out of the garden or sliced on a burger or BLT, even before I had resection surgery and a better stoma.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Hisbiscus
Jun 23, 2024 1:28 pm

I would die for a tomato sandwich right now! I was told not to eat them and had a lot of past blockage issues, so I'd be afraid. I think everyone is different, so you just have to try and see if they work out for you.

Morning glory
Jun 23, 2024 2:55 pm

I eat a lot of tomatoes. They have never bothered me. Ileostomy.

TerryLT
Jun 23, 2024 8:56 pm

There are some varieties of tomato with very tough skins. I would think that because you are slicing them to use them in a sandwich, the pieces of skin will be very small. As long as you are chewing really well, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had any problems with tomatoes, and I also have an ileo.

Terry

IGGIE
Jun 24, 2024 12:05 pm

G-Day R1Kirby, Tomatoes do have a tough skin, but if you chew and chew, it's no problem; try one and see. Regards, IGGIE

Barbiedoll34c
Jun 29, 2024 6:53 pm

I was afraid to have tomatoes, or anything that had a seed in it. I was terrified that it would get stuck in my stoma and I would end up in the emergency ward! Oh yeah, and salad too. I guess I read too much on the internet, and it scared me half to death, thinking I wouldn't be able to eat all the foods I always enjoyed. My doctor did tell me that I could eat anything but to just chew, chew, chew! Here I am, eating all the things I love! The best advice is to just try different things, and if they are chewed into little pieces you probably will be fine. I still haven't attempted popcorn, because in my mind those kernels are going to do me in, but that is it! I eat everything I want, but I do it real slow… Enjoy your new normal!

Doe1mama
Jun 30, 2024 1:53 pm

My husband has no issues with tomatoes. And as Axl said, you may see some red and also lots of tiny seeds.

tonybrown777
Jul 01, 2024 6:13 am
Reply to Axl

Hi, I was told to remove the skin because it can't be digested and could cause a blockage by a consultant.

tonybrown777
Jul 01, 2024 6:20 am
Reply to Barbiedoll34c

Yes, I eat greens, but too much and the pouch inflates. It's not bursting yet, but it's certainly big. Broccoli especially.

tonybrown777
Jul 01, 2024 6:24 am
Reply to Barbiedoll34c

My friend got a blockage from not chewing fully. A&E just in time. Whatever anyone says, be careful; we have a significant change: the exit for waste is much smaller.

Axl
Jul 01, 2024 8:55 am
Reply to tonybrown777

I eat them more days than not, cooked or otherwise, skin and all.

paulriggans
Jul 01, 2024 4:25 pm

Once again, I agree with Axl here. If you are in good health, then treat everything as before. Your body is still functioning normally.

My only personal concern is that I still like my coffee, and I will not sacrifice that, even though I was told to restrict it or preferably give it up altogether.

Perhaps someone (Axl?) can advise on this one.

Paul Riggans

Wacky Jack
Jul 01, 2024 6:53 pm
Reply to paulriggans

I also would not give up coffee. I absolutely need it in the morning, at least 2 or 3 cups.

The only problem is that it goes straight through me.

Axl
Jul 02, 2024 12:53 am
Reply to paulriggans

Hah, I stopped drinking coffee many years ago, pre ileo. In the last twelve months, I have been tempted to have one now and then. I have determined it smells much better than it tastes... and surprise surprise, goes straight through me 🤣😂

infinitycastle52777
Jul 03, 2024 12:29 am

I peel the skins off tomatoes and then I can eat them. It's the skins you have to be careful about on fruits and vegetables. At least that is what I have found. Everyone is different and I have an ileostomy. You might be able to tolerate skins on vegetables and fruits. They say try a small amount of something and see how it goes.

Pouch Potato
Jul 09, 2024 10:05 pm
Reply to Barbiedoll34c

Thank you for this post. I've had an ileostomy for 5 months and I too have been freaked out about eating salads, and basically anything with seeds or skins. I don't really understand how risky any of that is, but I have decided to try some things in small quantities and see what happens! I had my first salad last week, with a few butter lettuce leaves, some peeled Persian cucumbers, and avocado - heaven! And no problems! So now I'm trying strawberries and blueberries. I haven't risked tomatoes yet, but I want to!