Ileostomy Care at the Pool - Seeking Advice on Wraps

Replies
Views
NancyCat
Jun 28, 2024 11:02 pm

Asking any ladies with an ileostomy... do you use any special wraps over your ileostomy to keep it from leaking? I use a 2-piece Coloplast system.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

eefyjig
Jun 29, 2024 12:30 am

I may be in the minority, but I've actually never worn a wrap. I feel less secure with anything touching or moving my bag around. Regarding swimming, I wear a high-waisted tankini that covers my bag completely and a slightly longer top.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Jun 29, 2024 10:50 am

I wear a tummy sleeve from a maternity shop.

whackjob74
Jun 29, 2024 3:02 pm

Hi NancyCat

I also wear a two-piece Coloplast system. I do not wear anything when swimming to keep it from leaking. I use the curved barrier tape on both the top and bottom edges of my flange to give it extra stickiness. I have a hot tub that I use nightly and have gone on vacation where I'm in the water all day and had almost no issues. The hot water can degrade the glue on the flange faster, but cold water didn't create any issues for me.

I wear both a one-piece and a two-piece bathing suit depending on how I feel. The whole time I was in Cuba, I wore a bikini and a stealth belt just to cover it in public, not for leaking. No one even looked twice as it just looks like you are wearing a fanny pack. My stoma is at my waist, so I can't hide it with a high-waisted bottom like some people can.

Don't let your ostomy stop you from spending as much time in the water as you want!