Hi There

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Jul 08, 2024 9:39 pm

Hi everybody. It has been a while since I have been really active on here and I just wanted to drop in and say hi and how is everyone doing? Care to check in? I have started volunteering at a food pantry for college students. It is a lot of fun. I hand out produce to the people. What ever we have that they want. Usually they can only have 1 of each item. Sometimes they ask me what something is. Like when we had leeks. People didn't know what they were. I thought it would be funny if I said to them, "What to take a leak?" But the person I was working with said not to say it that way, and then laughed. We had very ripe mangos one day. I was having trouble giving those away. We had beets and people didn't know what to do with them either. They said, "How do you eat this?" It is a lot of fun to volunteer, I haven't felt up to the task until just a month ago. I am happy to be getting into something constructive and that I feel like I can handle. I am always careful to have a light lunch before I go volunteer so that Marvin (the martian) stoma can take a nap while I work. I have learned that if you don't put much in then not much comes out. However last night I don't know what I ate that struck him wrong but he did 750cc over night. That thing (Marvin) never sleeps. I think he is an insomniac. Well I miss you all and hope to get back into posting more. 

Lee

kittybou
Jul 08, 2024 11:07 pm

Good to see from you!

Keep your wonderful sense of humor, please. That is very rare these days!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bowsprit
Jul 09, 2024 9:49 am

Hello, Infinity Castle, hope you are well. That's an interesting job you have. You can make good soup from leeks or add them to other soups. Beetroot is good health wise and mangoes are great in salads. That is a popular fruit here, its known as the king of fruits and June and July are the season for it. All the best wishes and keep posting.  

DexieB
Jul 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Hey there.   That is a great volunteer job!  I worked at a Food Bank for 8 years, which is a bit different than a pantry - we distributed food to the food shelves, pantrys, etc. but we had a program for seniors where they could pick up a food box once a month.  They could pick it up at any food shelf or pantry, but a lot of them chose to come right to the food bank because we had a Food Rescue program and therefore had lots of "extras" to give out - and they could take as many of those extras as they wanted. 

A lot of the time we had items that like you said, no one really knew what they were (Jicama was one example).  Sometimes we would type up recipes that used these items and include them with the monthly food box.  I loved working there, and with the volunteers that came in - what a great way to volunteer your time!    Glad you are doing well!

Jayne
Jul 09, 2024 7:29 pm

Hello Infinity

Sounds like a really lovely opportunity to share what you have to give out and have some fun too - Keep up the good work - and never, ever, loose your sense of humour.

Wishing you well .....

Keep on posting - inspire us all to be ourselves and help folk

Good luck

and IC - thanks for sharing.

BW

Jayne

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
infinitycastle52777
Jul 09, 2024 9:32 pm
Reply to DexieB

My mom volunteers at a food bank. She actually hands out food to agencies and one of them is the food pantry i have been working in. It is interesting to me how all these things fall into place. I enjoy seeing all the hard working students who come to get food. Many are from other countries studying here and have little money to spend on food. So I am happy there is a place that helps them. It is nice for me to be a part of it all. I think I get just as much out of it as the students who come for the services. 

infinitycastle52777
Jul 09, 2024 9:34 pm
Reply to bowsprit

I love mangos it is one fruit I can eat as long as I peal it. 

infinitycastle52777
Jul 09, 2024 9:34 pm
Reply to kittybou

I always say if I'm laughin' im not cryin'. 

infinitycastle52777
Jul 09, 2024 9:38 pm
Reply to Jayne

I try to keep up my sense of humor because it helps. It makes tough times seem not so tough. I often joke about Marvin the stoma. Because it helps me deal with the reality that is him. 

Morning glory
Jul 09, 2024 11:41 pm

Hi there, so glad you are up to volunteer.  It's  a wonderful  feeling to help others. You have a great sense  of humor. Keep posting.

Bilbo baggins
Jul 13, 2024 9:12 pm

Good to hear that other stoma folks are doing the same thing as me 

It's been a long hard few months since I got Bilbo , that's it's name, but I am gently getting my life back on track. I enjoy driving the van for a few food pantries around my home city of Cardiff south Wales UK and getting back on my bike has been brilliant. I am just about to tackle the jungle that used to be my garden.

Then start to fit in some traveling 

I feel so blessed that I have been given a new life and I'm not going to waste any of it.

Happy Daze

Chris