Is It Normal for Stoma Size to Change After Surgery?

Replies
Views
eab3691
Jul 14, 2024 8:40 am

I've had my stoma for almost 2 months now. I've noticed it shrink slightly a few weeks after surgery, but in the last 2 weeks, it has puffed out larger a bit more. Is this normal? I've got an appointment with the surgeon for a follow-up this coming Tuesday and will ask him, but in the meantime, is this normal?

Rodr24
Jul 14, 2024 12:12 pm

At two months, you are still very new to this and just starting to learn about your stoma... I'm four months into my colostomy now and I'm still learning.

Here's what I can tell you about size. When it was brand new, my stoma was so big that a bag barely fit even when cut to maximum size. Now it's about 32mm. The diameter shrank until it got to this size and hasn't changed from there.

That said, how far it sticks out above the skin changes almost daily. Sometimes it pokes out over an inch, other times it gets almost level with my skin. Sometimes it is at an angle, high on one side, low on the other. I have come to believe that this is related to how busy my colon is near the stoma, but I can't be certain.

As I understand it, there will be a natural variation in how much your stoma sticks out. If you're talking about diameter, I'm not sure what might cause that.

If there's no pain, fever, or other symptoms, you're probably safe to just discuss it on Tuesday - but I'd put in a call to my surgeon just to be sure.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Jul 14, 2024 1:11 pm
Reply to Rodr24

So true. Agree. These stomas are like gasoline prices. They fluctuate almost daily. Hard to believe an organ does this that you can be a witness to. You will be alright. It is normal stoma function. Fear not.

w30bob
Jul 14, 2024 1:58 pm

Hi eab,

Yeah, you're normal... no need to worry. Funny thing is, everyone with a stoma is different. As you heard from the two above me, their stomas change size. Mine barely does. It's an inch in diameter (25mm) and sticks out about a half an inch (13mm), which for me is damn near perfect. First thing in the morning when I get up, it's a smidge smaller and not as red, but once I get up... so does it, and it's go-time. You can expect your stoma to change a bit in the next couple of months, but it should stabilize to your new you. So relax... you're good.

;O)

IGGIE
Jul 14, 2024 2:30 pm

G-Day 3691, no problem, mine used to be 29mm; it's now closer to 19mm and not as long as it was. When I touch it while cleaning around, it pulls its head in but comes back out later.

Warrior, have you never seen another organ fluctuate in size before?

Regards, IGGIE

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
warrior
Jul 14, 2024 4:43 pm
Reply to IGGIE

The Laugh for the Day---

"Fair warning"

Ha ha Iggie. You got me. I walked right into that one. Glad to see someone is paying attention.

Growing up a poor kid, if I was not born a male, I'd definitely have nothing to play with. 🤦‍♂️🙄.

Fast forward some 60 yrs plus, times have not changed, my friend. After Kenn butt surgery, I've named "it" JFK.

No, not my stoma "it". 😉🫣.

Enjoy the humor and sublime fact for Kenn butt surgery.

Happy-but-Newbie
Jul 15, 2024 3:34 pm

I am approaching my first stomaversary and it is still changing...

It seems to have stabilized in diameter, more or less... but some days it's more circular and some more oval, possibly depending on my tummy being bloated or not...

And I am starting to see some signs of it protruding... which for a flat ostomate is like Christmas come early! Ahahah

No worries... just make sure you follow its changes with the flange hole size and shape :-)

DexieB
Jul 15, 2024 3:50 pm

Hello. As all have mentioned, they fluctuate... mine got a lot wider when I had a hernia under my colostomy (my hernia started happening a few months in). It never posed a problem though with my appliance - just had to cut the hole bigger and bigger each time!

eab3691
Jul 16, 2024 11:05 pm

Had my appointment today. The surgeon said the stoma size change is normal. He then said to see him in 5 months to discuss an appointment for reversal. I brought up to him that my right abdomen developed a sharp pain after a sneeze. He said it's just a pulled muscle due to continued healing in my abdomen area.