Eating Solids After Colostomy Reversal - When Is It Safe?

Replies
Views
Ronnie
Aug 08, 2024 11:06 pm

Had my colostomy reversal about a week ago and was wondering if it's okay to eat solid foods or how long I should wait.

Beachboy
Aug 08, 2024 11:37 pm

Best answered by your surgeon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Audrey Warren
Aug 09, 2024 1:21 am

Best to ask your doctor. Can't imagine you didn't receive instructions when leaving the hospital.

Footie97
Aug 09, 2024 6:47 pm

When I left the hospital after the reversal, they told me to eat small meals regularly and avoid spicy foods for a week or two, then return to a normal diet as I tolerated it.

Audrey Warren
Aug 10, 2024 10:43 am
Reply to Footie97

There's your answer. You have carte blanche.👍🏼

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Beachboy
Aug 11, 2024 5:27 am
Reply to Footie97

I would probably extend being careful with diet and avoiding crowds for a little longer, maybe 4 weeks. You're still healing for quite a while. Taking it easy for a month or two won't hurt. And that includes sneezing and coughing. It's easy to develop an incisional hernia. If possible, hold a pillow firmly against your stomach during a cough or sneeze.

elledubuque
Sep 15, 2024 1:07 pm

My best advice: NEVER experiment with new foods outside your home as you are introducing foods back in.

Things I ate with my osteomyelitis became issues after my reversal and had me running for the toilet or outranking my dog for the stinkiest farts of the day award.

Then foods I thought would be an issue weren't - kale, black beans, pickled cauliflower…

But now I am basically allergic to nuts, and I have a post-reversal friend who says if he even looks at a bean, he'll poop his pants.

Oh, and NEVER trust a fart. They turn into sharts quicker than “they're eating the dogs” memes hit after the debate.

Beachboy
Sep 16, 2024 2:49 am
Reply to elledubuque

Reminds me of a silly thing right after surgery.  I'm at home, and felt the urge to let out some gas.  So I did.... not.  I forgot, butt no longer connected to colon.  I passed.. mucus.  Yikes, what mess.  Now I feel any urges... I mumble: "butt not connected."  To remind myself.