Urostomy Stents and Frequent Hospital Stays: Anyone Else?

Replies
Views
kenp
Aug 30, 2024 2:36 pm

Hi

I'm Kenp

About 5 years ago, I had a urostomy. Due to the narrowing of the ureters, stents were installed. They are replaced about every 3 months, and I generally end up in the hospital for 3 or 4 days on IV antibiotics. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, has

it been resolved?

Bryce
Aug 30, 2024 5:05 pm

Hi Ken - I've had my urostomy for 15 years with no narrowing but did have this discussion with my urologist in case the issue came up. Like cardiovascular stents, many materials are used and titanium ranks first. Marginally more expensive, these might lead to fewer procedures... worth checking out. Best, Bryce

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kenp
Aug 31, 2024 6:06 pm
Reply to Bryce

Thank you, Bryce.

Lucky you, no stents and, more importantly, no infections. They have been a way of life for me over the last 5 years.

I had started some research prior to your reply and did some additional research afterwards. Unfortunately, most of the articles I found are

over 10 years old, and some of the material is above my pay grade. It looked like titanium is still being investigated and shows

inconclusive results. Also mentioned were stents of differing materials and stents coated with substances to try and inhibit the

bacteria growth.

I am going to talk to my doctor about starting an antibiotic regimen prior to the replacement.

Keep