Swimming with an Ileostomy on a Cruise - Tips?

Replies
Views
Blanca
Oct 05, 2024 4:10 pm

I am going on my first Caribbean cruise and I would love to be able to swim with my friends. However, I am worried about my Hollister flange getting wet. Any suggestions on keeping it dry? I did read about Hypafix tape but am not sure if that would work. Do I just tape the flange...?

AlexT
Oct 05, 2024 4:14 pm

Add tape or flange extenders and enjoy. It’s ok if your stuff gets wet. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

xnine
Oct 05, 2024 5:14 pm

If it's tight on land, it should be good in the water.

Riva
Oct 05, 2024 5:40 pm

Go and enjoy your cruise. Don't overthink it. Remember to stay hydrated 🍷

infinitycastle52777
Oct 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I swim and I wear a wrap but that's all I need to keep it secure. Enjoy your time with friends and try not to worry about it.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
w30bob
Oct 05, 2024 7:33 pm

Oh no... you can't go swimming! If your barrier leaks, you'll fill up with water through your stoma and sink to the bottom! It's a terrible way to go!

Ok... just kidding. As stated, you can use extenders if you're concerned about the edges of your barrier lifting, or you can use any waterproof medical grade tape. Unless you plan on spending hours on end in the water, you won't have any problems.

Have fun!

;O)

Justbreathe
Oct 05, 2024 7:52 pm
Reply to w30bob

Hah - can't tell you how many times I've said that about my stoma... "It is a terrible way to go"!!! jb

Cheekymonkey111
Oct 05, 2024 9:28 pm

Just go for it. My ileostomy never stopped me from going swimming.

I just went this Saturday to a clothing optional swim.

Nothing on but my bag, very liberating.

TerryLT
Oct 05, 2024 10:43 pm

Most ostomates get their appliances wet every day when they shower or bathe, so getting it wet is not an issue.  I swim regularly and then go into the steam room, where it's hot and humid as well as wet, then back into the pool for another while, before a final steam.  I've never had a problem, and I've never done anything special, ie, extenders, etc.  If it makes you feel more secure, as others have said, use the extenders.  Go and enjoy yourself!

Terry

Blanca
Oct 06, 2024 1:01 pm
Reply to AlexT

Thank you 😊 

Blanca
Oct 06, 2024 1:01 pm
Reply to xnine

Thank you 😊 

Blanca
Oct 06, 2024 1:02 pm
Reply to Riva

Thank you

Blanca
Oct 06, 2024 1:04 pm
Reply to w30bob

Thank you 😁

Blanca
Oct 06, 2024 1:07 pm
Reply to Cheekymonkey111

Thank you 😁

yew
Oct 13, 2024 6:05 pm

I have swum with an ileostomy. Tape the flange with a certain water repellent or paper

tape. Use a hair dryer on cool or warm on the ostomy.

You are set to go and enjoy!

Heather Williamson
Oct 13, 2024 6:22 pm

Guess what? The pouch is waterproof on the inside, so it is on the outside too! I use the extenders all around when swimming - and since I don't like the feel of the wet pouch on my skin, I purchased a bathing suit made for us - with a little pocket to hold it away from your skin. Both SIIL and CUI make beautiful bathing suits.

funnygurl
Oct 13, 2024 9:55 pm

There is a product that you can put over your flange to seal it. I use it for hot springs and hot tubs https://myeverythingstore.ca/products/ostomy-essentials-flange-seal-rings-size-medium-45mm-57mm-70mm?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAACIxr0bbJvbpAPwOhMUsJAG1fVx0q&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluKVvquMiQMVmAutBh2cTRoAEAYYBCABEgJBQfD_BwE&variant=41383173816517

Invented in Canada by an ostomate.

Blanca
Oct 14, 2024 1:17 am
Reply to Heather Williamson

Thank you very much

Blanca
Oct 14, 2024 1:21 am
Reply to yew

Thank you 😊 

Blanca
Oct 14, 2024 1:22 am
Reply to funnygurl

Thank you!!

Starlight 444
Oct 19, 2024 6:03 pm

I go abroad every year and sit by the pool all day sunbathing, in and out of the pool. I have an ileostomy and have never had any problems at all. So go and enjoy yourself and don't worry, you will be okay.