DLA Eligibility with an Ileostomy and Part-Time Work in the UK

Replies
Views
isabella
Sep 30, 2009 8:38 pm
hi

can anyone advise about dla here in uk,i have an illieostomy due to Crohns,i work part-time only as that is all i can manage,i did try full time just after my op but  had to go to part-time as i

get extreme fatigue and feel very unwell by the end of the week,is it possible to get dla whilst i am working and has anyone else been successful in obtaining this,

isabella
vulcanBMk2
Oct 01, 2009 1:29 pm
Hi there , I used to have all the Leaflets on DLA --I just claim Incapacity benefit--But I took early retirement & will be drawing full Pensions in May. I think you need to see your Local Social Secuity Office & get all the Leaflets-----However I do feel the chances are slim while you still appear to have  the Capacity for work.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am
Hi, I have been claiming DLA for some years now - I am unable to work now, but was claiming middle rate care when I was working. DLA is not means tested, it is to help you with the costs relating to your condition, therefore it doesn't matter whether or not you are working, or what your income is. If you have to stop work, then Incapacity Benefit is the one they will pay you. If you can only work part time, then you may be able to claim Income Support, for those on a low income, depending on the total income of the 'household', partners etc.....

Filling in the DLA form is quite difficult- make sure you describe events on your 'worst' days, message me if you want some help, happy to give tips... if your claim gets rejected, then throw it back at them and it gets seen by a different person to assess.

You can also get cheaper water rates if you are on a meter and have a stoma - and I also have an extra waste bin off my council as I produce excess rubbish! Not many people know that!

Good luck.

Rachel x
Past Member
Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm
Hi There

I have just recently appealed the decision not to award DLA to me. I have mobility problems which i was including as part of my case. I also have leakage problems and extreme tiredness similar to yourself so i often have to change the bed during the night and shower etc. but this made no difference. i also had the help of the local welfare rights office.

I like yourself work part time but i get disabled working tax credit and i must work a minimum of 16 hours per week.

I think because i work it went against me although they say it makes no difference. I struggle to do my part time job but i think i would be a lot worse off mentally if i was stuck at home alll day.I donk know how long i will be able to continue to work as my mobility is getting worse.Many years ago a rhumatologist suggsted the inflamation on the soft tissue in my feet was a manifestation of crohns. On the panel at the appeal there was a gasroentologist who seemed to think that leakages do not happen, well after having my illeostomy for thirty years plus i think i know more than him. However they did keep my mobility component which is up for renewal in december and i have to go through it all again

Login to see image

Good luck

Colin

PS atfer i had my appeal rejected i felt really down as if they thought i was not genuine in my case, but they do state at the begining you have to meet the criteria laid down by the government
Past Member
Oct 05, 2009 3:45 pm
I was told never fill the form in yourself. Citizens Advice are the best to fill form in. Most cases are refused so you always have to apeal. It does make you feel bad if they refuse.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
isabella
Oct 05, 2009 8:05 pm
hi all

thanks for all the advice,i ve thought about this for a long time now and i must admit the thought of it being rejected has been putting me off,it seems like a complete lottery whether people get it or not,but i know that i am struugling to carry on the hours i am doing at present and have been for a long time now,ideally i would like to reduce my hours but am struggling financially with the hours i do,i have a very stressful and mentally challenging job which i don;t think helps but i would not like to stop work altogether,i am due to see someone from welfare rights this week and will ask their advice,it would be helpful if i decide to go ahead if i could get some advice on filling in the form,ie describing the utter exhaustion that i experience especially when it can;t be evidenced with any scientific test is hard,so rachel if you don;t mind i may take you up on your offer for tips etc,but i;ll send a private message for this.

thanks to all who replied

isabella
Mickey
Mar 04, 2011 11:53 pm
hey colin hope things get better for you soon

Dwyer

Login to see image

kstewart69
May 10, 2011 7:53 pm
Hi. I realise ur post is old but I a new to the site.  l live in scotland and need some direction filling in the dla having an ileostomy.

I would be interested how you go on and can you give me any advice completing it.

Thanks