Skin Prep Tips for Hot Weather with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
labjano
Aug 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Hello - I have an ileostomy due to Crohn's Disease. Can someone help me out with product info or tips on skin preps to use during hot weather, excercising and swimming to prevent leaks? I've had my ileostomy for 29 yrs and I'm experiencing more issues. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Jan

NJ Bain
Aug 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Jan,

There are some earlier posts about swimming with an ostomy.  You can do a search in the search field at the top of the screen.

My previous employment had me sweating profusely as it was a very physical job and we all know that ostomy's and sweat don't really mix too well.  I use to use a back brace to keep my ileostomy pouch in place and it offered extra protection in case I did have a leak.  But I'm sure there are other products out there to do a better job than a back brace.

I myself use a thin layer of deoderant around the wafer and around the area where the pouch lays across my skin.  It reduces sweating and prevents fungis from forming especially when you don't get the pouch completely dry after swimming/showering.

I also guess it would depend on what system you use?  (1 piece or 2)  I'm sure some other members here will offer some additional advice.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mrs.A
Aug 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Hi Jan,

Welcome to MAO! Have you researched the Sure Seal Rings? The are completely waterproof, and are great with holding back any leaks till you get to change. Here's a link if you would like to check them out. I'm pretty sure you can request samples too.

http://alpglobal.com/Sure-Seal-TM-Rings.html

Bain is right, there are quite a few threads here about skin preps and the different ways folks have discovered that work for them. Like he said, do a search and see what you find.

Hope you find what works for you too.

labjano
Aug 02, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks NJ Bain and Mrs.A for taking the time to respond with the very useful information! 

Jan