Struggling with Stoma Bag Leaks: Need Advice

Replies
Views
Kbele
Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

I am 4 days out of the hospital. Still learning. Tried 2 different bags (outtie stoma) and keep getting leaks from the sides. I've used the gasket rings, the adhesive powder. Any advice?

Bill
Aug 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Hello Kbele. 

Thanks for posting. I have only just finished replying to a post on the same subject so if you have a look at the next but one post down from yours you will see my reply.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm

I've just had another look and the post i'm referring to is further down the list and its from Atila the hun. 

adamnyankee
Aug 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Kble--I too had leak issues. Now I use a one piece drainable sensura mio by coloplast with NOTHING else.  No gasket, wafer or added tape.  I shower naked, dry my skin, wipe the skin around my stoma with a barrier wipe, and place the pouch.  If I am going out into very humid weather, I will use a brava barrier strip for extra security as adhesive is not the most reliable in extreme humidity.  I had found that the moldable rings typically applied before the pouch create a gap and allowed leaks.  Good Luck.

a damn yankee

Newbie Dana
Aug 09, 2017 3:06 am

Go to Costa Medical and order a trial pack of Stoma Seal and see if that will help any. It is a very thin flexible membrane (almost like celophane) that fits directly onto the skin (adhesive on one side) and provides a very grippy surface for the faceplate to contact. I don't know if that will cure your problems altogether, but I hope it will help considerably. I used them for a while when I was having some leak problems, and it helped a lot. Since then, I gained some weight (unfortunately), and apparently the more rounded contours of my body around the stoma have stopped the leakage to a great extent. I now use the Aqua Seal on the outside of the faceplate and under the pouch to make everything waterproof and more secure.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play